Respected Contributor

Re: Retirees - how do you structure your days?

@mac116 , great advice to be kind to yourself! We spend so much of our lives making sure everyone else is all right; we surely deserve some kindness in retirement. 

Honored Contributor

My day is structured around the joy of not answering the phone when it rings, staying up later, and sleeping in sometimes!  

I loved and thrived on the structure and hustle and bustle of my job.  I love and thrive on not having to run and gun all day now. 

To everything there is a season. . . 

Respected Contributor

For me the greatest thing about retirement is being able to do what I want when I want. I will have to say it took me a couple of months to settle into it. At first I was cleaning the house from top to bottom and making sure I spent everyday doing something productive. Well then I realized that my house is always clean and the laundry is always done. So I started giving myself permission to enjoy and do what made me feel good and brought me pleasure. So  some days I spend all day reading a good book. Some days I try new recipes. I go to lunch with friends. I play Bunco with a group of ladies. I spend a lot of time in the yard working on my flowers in the Summer. I have started painting by number which is a lot of fun.It is great. I am a night person who has insomnia so it is wonderful to go to bed when I feel like it and get up when I feel like. No structure and no schedule and it rocks!! So you may come to like not having structure and just enjoying.

Honored Contributor

My structured days ended when I hit the time clock and walked out of the hospital for the last time on 12-31-2012.   

I enjoy every minute of every day of my unstructured retirement, and plan to continue doing so.   Life happens, and I adjust to it.   

I can't think of one single thing to add to my life that would make me any happier.  

Respected Contributor

After being retired for almost 6 years I have finally fallen into sort of a structure (took a year and a half off to deal with breast cancer). First of all I sleep a few hours later than when I was working (and now go to bed at 11 instead of 9). So I'm up between 6 and 7. I have to confess I sit around in my robe having coffee and reading all the news until around nine. Then I get dressed and have some breakfast. Look at recipes and plan dinner. Usually around 11 I start on whatever projects I am working on at the time (organizing our paperwork, cleaning out the garage cabinets). I work until around two when my back gives out. Then do my cross stich until tme to start dinner - around 4.

But the beauty is I can blow the whole thing up and not feel guilty. There's always tomorrow.

Super Contributor

Congratulations on your retirement.  i don't structure my days. Anything goes. Whatever the day brings is ok by me. I love the freedom of being able to do what I want when I want. Makes for a happy existence. Admittedly the pandemic threw a wrench in things, but it was fine in the long run. Good Luck in your new endeavours.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people need structure while others don’t.  I had a difficult time when I first retired.  I needed structure or I would get depressed.  It’s good that you’re thinking ahead.  You can always tweak things as you go along. 

I began my mornings with an exercise routine and reading.  After that I would turn my attention to home projects.  Each night I would make my plan for the following day.  After living in the same house for 40 years we had accumulated a lot so there was a lot of clearing out that needed to be done including shredding old documents.  I went room by room, closet by closet until that was completed. 

After that, I began to focus on hobbies.  I enjoy walking/hiking and nature photography.  I spend most of the day outdoors which I love.  By the time I get home each day I’m worn out, but it’s a good worn out.  It helps me sleep better and feel better. 

You'll figure out what works best for you.  Wishing you all the best in your retirement!   

Esteemed Contributor

How exciting for you, house_cat. As I'm ending my second day of retirement, I can say it feels like I'm on staycation. I've cleaned, purged, detailed my car, pulled weeds, shopped for landscaping items, started volunteer work and placed a few friends' lunches on my new calendar. I'll go to the gym for the first time since March 2020 tomorrow. And I woke up at 5:30 AM both retirement days. I'll get the hang of this retirement thing and so will you. We'll function according to our personalities and will learn to slow down a bit. Good luck and enjoy your new journey.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

I worried about it too, I retired November 2019, but got into a routine pretty quickly at home. Certain days for certain things. Somehow it all worked out and it was one of my biggest fears

Honored Contributor

Will be 30 years retired in November. Structure?  That is what I wanted to get away from in retirement. I pretty much wing it depending on what's happening in our lives at the time. Working all 3 shifts at a factory gets one used to sleeping hours that vary. And being one that can get by with 4 hours of sleep!  When I get sleepy I sleep, no set hours. Same with eating as I "graze", no real meals.

john

hckynut(john)