Frequent Contributor

Re: Retirees - how do you structure your days?

Shortly before I retired one of our clients told me that after I'd been retired for a while I'd look back and wonder how I'd ever found time to work! I have certainly found that to be true! I wish you much happiness in your new phase of life.

Trusted Contributor

I found that I need some structure to my days.  I think it's because of being a teacher for 33 years and living by bells.

I go to the local rec center to swim first thing each weekday morning.  Once I am back home I read the paper, do my devotions, and read email.  After that I do any housework and laundry that needs to be done.  I clean the house once a week (usually on Monday morning so it is done for the week). 

I go to a Bible study two mornings a week at my church.  Afternoons are for walking the dog, reading, and errands.  I try not to be compulsive about a schedule, but I am more comfortable with some routines built in to my day.

Respected Contributor

I was concerned as you before I retired.  It took a bit but I love the idea that I have the freedom to do as I please and when I please!  That is a true luxury after all the years of work, children, etc.  I thoroughly enjoy it and have no desire to change it in any way.

I enjoy my own company and the solitude and as a widow, it works for me.  I worry less even going through COVID.  I have all intentions of enjoying the years I have left without having to worry about having a set routine or to have to schedule my day..............I love and enjoy the freedom of my choices each and every day!

Honored Contributor

This OCD retired person struggles daily with self-appointed chores. What I wouldn't give to just relax.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Before I retired 7 years ago I had grand plans of things I was going to do to stay busy and have some type of structure in my life, e.g, a class at the local community college, volunteer work at a hospital, etc. None of that ever came to fruition! Once I was retired, I absolutely loved the freedom I had to do whatever I wanted, whether my day was busy or I just stayed home and enjoyed my quiet time!

My only routine now is to try to get my errands taken care of in the morning, do a little work on my patio or do a little housework (not much!). I like having the afternoon free to go shopping if I want, take a nap, read a book or lounge on my patio. I had structure in my life every day when I was in school, college and the workforce. I don't want structure in my retirement years! It may take you a little time to adjust to retirement - go with the flow and just enjoy!

Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.  Unless you have an appointment or a part time job, don't worry about the structure.  I didn't work for 10 years, recently took a part time job as cafeteria monitor in the local middle school.  Old habits die hard, but it's nice not to have to do all your shopping and household chores in two days.  Now if I run low on underwear, I know it's time to do laundry!!  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

I don't

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@IdahoGram inspiring speech.  Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat    No help from me either.  Retirement for me meant no structure.  I actually get less done at home during the day then  when I worked.  My mantra is "There's always tomorrow!!!"  The only real structure I have is getting up between 3:30 and 4:00 and working out for about 2 hours then walking with my dog for at least 45 minutes but I am an early riser and love to workout.  I like being able to sit and watch tv or read all day if I want to.  If there is a choice of going somewhere or staying home, staying home is always the one I choose.  I've had too many commitments all my life to enjoy the simple pleasures of life!!

Valued Contributor

The simple answer is I don't. Unless there is an outside appointment to go to or someone coming in to do work in my condo, I do whatever I want when I want. With all the blood, sweat and tears paid through my work life, I deserve this now!