Honored Contributor

Retirees - how do you structure your days?

I'm retiring in a few days and although that's clearly a blessing, I have to admit I'm concerned.  I'm the kind of person who needs structure and routine.  Sometimes, even just a long weekend can throw me for a loop. 

I'm wondering how other retirees structure their days. Do you have a daily routine, or just go with the flow?  If you're comfortable sharing, I'd love to know how you organize your time.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Retirees - how do you structure your days?

I know this won't be any help to you, but I don't structure my day unless I have an appointment,a place to go etc. I had a structured life for the forty years I worked and will never have one again.

Honored Contributor

You can have as much structure and routine as you desire.  I have very little, I do whatever I feel like doing which may be nothing at all.  Sometimes I might just read all day as I know the laundry can be done tomorrow.  To me, that's the joy of being retired. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Congrats on your upcoming retirement.  I don't have any advice or comment other than I am jealous.  Enjoy!!!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

That's part of the joy of being retired, less structure.  I still have some schedules to keep, like the gym, church, and singing practice, but mostly I like being able to do as I please.  I even get annoyed with my husband when he asks what I have on my dance card for the day, especially since he's not doing anything.  I stay plenty busy.

Esteemed Contributor

I  can't help you because I normally don't structure my time. Each day I do whatever I feel like at the moment. I make plans if I'm going on a trip or getting a visit from a contractor, but since I retired last November I take a day at a time. I decide what to do when I wake up in the morning. 

I don't need a routine in my life anymore. I find that I like doing some things spontaneously. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

What is this "structure" you speak of? The best thing about retirement is that you can do anything you want whenever you want. Even if all you want to do is sit on the couch and binge watch TV all day. Seriously though, I have been retired for 13 years and I'm never bored. I usually do my housework and laundry in the morning and have the rest of the day to do whatever I feel like doing. Is there something you've always wanted to do but never had the time? You could take a dance class or learn to play a musical instrument. If there is a senior center near you they may offer all kinds of classes. The world is yours! Congratulations on your retirement and enjoy yourself! 💐🎊🍾

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ : Amen, sister!

Esteemed Contributor

Structure?  What structure?  Once school began as a little tot,

most of our lives have been about structure.   Counting kindergarten, all those years of schooling, mother of a family, working a demanding job, etc. etc., we only have structure when we need it.  The rest of the time, no.  

Super Contributor

Congrats on your retirement!  I too need some sort of routine in my life.  When I first retired I loved it, but that soon vanished.  I took a part time job at Target just to be around people.  After about a year I couldn't stand the screaming kids all day and quit.  I then worked part time at an Antique Mall for the next 9 or 10 years.  I no longer work (too old for anyone to hire me), but must keep a routine.  I usually get up about 7:00 check my computer, (emails, the Q, banking and play a few games).  Then I get myself put together, make the bed and walk the dog.  I try to plan what I'm going to do the following day each evening.  Laundry, ironing, gardening, vaccumn, shopping etc.  At 82 yr old I have to pace myself and that's how I do it.  Also read the article from a Navy Seal about "why you should make your bed every day".  It's worthwhile.