Respected Contributor

Makes sense, reasoning that prices are going up and families are spending for what they need, essentials.

I'm thinking twice and just finished 99% of my Holiday purchases.   

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not at all surprised. I'm spending 40% to 50% more on groceries in the last 6 months, and of course gas prices are so much higher too. This has to be tough on families and seniors who only have SS to rely on. My spending on non-essential items isn't what it used to be because of the rising costs of those items. Unfortunately, I don't see any relief in the near future.

Respected Contributor

My spending for groceries hasn't increased. I stock up during sales, plus I had a full freezer and pantry before COVID. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

My spending for groceries hasn't increased. I stock up during sales, plus I had a full freezer and pantry before COVID. 

DS just went thru 5 days without power due to storms. He lost everything in his fridge/freezer.

I placed several orders today to help him restock his freezer. Most every grocer near him was also impacted.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling   makes sense...inflation,  causing more caution with purchases.

Super Contributor

I think that during the pandemic many people realized they had too much "stuff". Donation centers were overwhelmed with all that "stuff". Many of us went through a reset and probably realized spending less is more. I know I've adjusted and I think twice before I spend money on anything. I just don't need it. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling 

Yep they are going up, up, up. Trucks move a lot of products, and! Judging from how much more it cost me to fill my gas tank yesterday, from 6 months ago? $1.30 more per gallon, for our 21 gallon vehicle, simple math says $27.30 more to fill the tank.

Trucks with 18 wheels do not run on solar or electricity, they run on fossil fuel. Think their higher prices to power those monster engines is going be absorbed by them or their companies? Nope! That would be the consumer's. How high will it go?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Prices for food and gas is just soaring. I agree with @hckynut  how high will it go?

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Makes sense, reasoning that prices are going up and families are spending for what they need, essentials.

I'm thinking twice and just finished 99% of my Holiday purchases.   

@Just Bling   Many families spent their time in "lockdown" downsizing possesions they didn't need and realized that sometimes less is more. I know we've cleared out unused kitchen things, gone through linens, clothing, etc. There'll be no need to replace them. 

Maybe retailers need to up the prices to make up for slowing sales. 

Trusted Contributor

I am also one of those people who paused, and reset during the lockdown.  I realized that I have more than enough of everything.  While I still enjoy looking at new things, I try to stop and think..."Do I really need MORE STUFF?"