Honored Contributor

Re: Responses that make you feel better or worse...

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I'm amazed at the number of ultra wealthy who brag that inflation does not concern or bother or impact them.  On the QVC forums, no less.

@Johnnyeager, There are posters here that started with qvc when they were in their twenties. They have certainly had time to acquire some wealth over the years. There is no reason they should not post here is there?

I also do not believe that the lack of empathy for your fellowman/woman has anything to do with ones net worth, but rather their upbringing and values they embrace from that time. Unfortunately not everyone had the benefit of such guidance or example.

@tiny 2   The issue is posting about your wealth on a thread when a poster starts a thread about losing a job or facing some financial set-back.

Big difference.  It simply does not belong on the thread, regardless of the old tired "I can post what I want".

It's that simple.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I'm amazed at the number of ultra wealthy who brag that inflation does not concern or bother or impact them.  On the QVC forums, no less.

@Johnnyeager, There are posters here that started with qvc when they were in their twenties. They have certainly had time to acquire some wealth over the years. There is no reason they should not post here is there?

I also do not believe that the lack of empathy for your fellowman/woman has anything to do with ones net worth, but rather their upbringing and values they embrace from that time. Unfortunately not everyone had the benefit of such guidance or example.

@tiny 2   The issue is posting about your wealth on a thread when a poster starts a thread about losing a job or facing some financial set-back.

Big difference.  It simply does not belong on the thread, regardless of the old tired "I can post what I want".

It's that simple.

@Cakers3, I completely agree about that. Maybe I need to look closer. Most of what I see here in those situations is support with the occasional insensitive comments.

Trusted Contributor

Well, social media was supposed to be about connecting and sharing.  It's become (in some instances) totally the opposite.  It can become a place for unhappy people to take out their aggressions on others.   It can be a place where people just like to attack others.  

It's the old adage, someone sitting behind a computer screen is anonymous.  They may think they are "big" by shutting someone down or deliberately hurting another's feelings.   They are anonymous so they can be "braver."  

I don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than coming here and to my favorite sports team website to chat.  More than not, I've found people here who are caring and kind.   I've also been victim to others who just want to antagonize or troll.   I worry about people who are really down and this is their only source of connection and someone tears into them... I've felt that here a few times... it can make you feel lonelier... but someone else who really is in need of help may take it as rejection and feel they have nowhere to go to be heard.

It comes down to one thing... be kind... be caring... it's okay to share your different views, but it can be done in a caring and compassionate manner.   There is no place for hate or cruelty. 

Valued Contributor

@Black Cat Back wrote:

Well, social media was supposed to be about connecting and sharing.  It's become (in some instances) totally the opposite.  It can become a place for unhappy people to take out their aggressions on others.   It can be a place where people just like to attack others.  

It's the old adage, someone sitting behind a computer screen is anonymous.  They may think they are "big" by shutting someone down or deliberately hurting another's feelings.   They are anonymous so they can be "braver."  

I don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than coming here and to my favorite sports team website to chat.  More than not, I've found people here who are caring and kind.   I've also been victim to others who just want to antagonize or troll.   I worry about people who are really down and this is their only source of connection and someone tears into them... I've felt that here a few times... it can make you feel lonelier... but someone else who really is in need of help may take it as rejection and feel they have nowhere to go to be heard.

It comes down to one thing... be kind... be caring... it's okay to share your different views, but it can be done in a caring and compassionate manner.   There is no place for hate or cruelty. 

You just made my day, tennisbuff. Thank you. Totally agree. Saying mean things makes some people feel better inside but it sure doesn't help the listener or reader any. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't patience with admonishment threads. When I come to a BB, I accept what other posters wish to share. Not everyone is going to please me, nor should they. If someone posts about their success, I'm happy for them, just as I'm sorry for those experiencing difficulties. There are posters I enjoy and those I don't enjoy.There are popular posters I find tiresome, and unpopular ones that I like. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I haven't patience with admonishment threads. When I come to a BB, I accept what other posters wish to share. Not everyone is going to please me, nor should they. If someone posts about their success, I'm happy for them, just as I'm sorry for those experiencing difficulties. There are posters I enjoy and those I don't enjoy.There are popular posters I find tiresome, and unpopular ones that I like. 

@occasionalrain  I am right there with you. Many times I try to hide certain things (forget I'm not on FB). Oh I wish i could.

Respected Contributor

I have a new mantra: Do Not Engage

Lately a few posters have either become more obnoxious than usual or else I'm less tolerant of their rudeness. So my plan is to ignore them and not take the bait. 
I think I will enjoy the forums better with this attitude. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Many years ago when I was still really mourning the loss of my mom I made a comment about missing her so much and there's nothing like losing your mom. Another poster reamed me saying that a mom isn't the only one, blah, blah, blah, in so many words. She was VERY mean. What she said to me hurt my tender feelings so much she made me cry. That's the very last time, once I make a comment here, that I return to see other comments. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@chiclet  - I agree with what your saying about insensitive responses.  A good example - A poster started a thread about having to take a test at work stating she was nervous about taking it.  She was also worried about not passing the test.  A poster replied about her own outstanding work history and how she made the highest score when having to take a test for her job.  This to me was an insensitive response and couldn't possibly help the OP feel any better.

Exactly what my post was about!  

Trusted Contributor

Some have commented here that they post a reply and never look back as some posters have been mean and hurt their feelings, etc.  Hmmm....some of the posters that made those comments here are the same ones that dish it out all the time,  but it seems like they can't take it when others do the same towards them.

Don't forgot, do unto others as you would like them to do to you!