Respected Contributor

Re: Renewing driver's license ... after 8 years!

@MOMMAVik  Do you wear glasses for driving? If you are concerned then go for an eye test before you renew. & possibly you might need a new perscription. My husband did not pass the eye test at the dmv & they just said that he needed glasses to drive & it showed on his drivers licence. His licence needed to be renewed in feb. (he is 71) so he got his eyes checked out & was given a written report by the eye dr. that showed his sight was fine to drive. Some dmv will not require to take the eye test but here in fl. some do but with that report from the dr. there will be no problem at all.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

In Pa., we go every 4 years. I'm good for another 2 which will make me 71. Hope there's no test involved or I'll be sticking my thumb out for a ride.

I was just going to say that in PA it's every 4 years and expires on one's birthday.

Mine is coming up this May.  Because of Covid I will just mail in the papers and payment.  Penndot will use my old photo and send me a new license.  During non Covid times one has to go in to get their license renewed in person with a new photo.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Mine is due to be renewed this July. With no tickets or violations, I should receive it for another 5 years, but I turn 73 that month and maybe the rules change when they consider you "old".

They may require a driving test which brings back thoughts of when I was 16 and had difficulty parallel parking my little Camero. Now with an SUV....big trouble!! There's no place here I've had to parallel park and we've lived here since my son was born and he just turned 49.

What about a photo on my liscense with a mask on? How are they dealing with that?

@Shanus I can't parallel park either!!  LOL!  When I visit my kids in Philly, I will call as I pull up and they will come out and hop in the car to park it for me. 

Where my son lives it's not too bad but where my DD just moved to the streets are so narrow & tight I find it too scary to attempt parallel parking.  I wish they would just move to the suburbs!

As for photo ID, mine is going to expire this May.  Penndot will use my old photo because of the pandemic.  I'm so glad that I don't have to go in person!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Mine is due to be renewed this July. With no tickets or violations, I should receive it for another 5 years, but I turn 73 that month and maybe the rules change when they consider you "old".

They may require a driving test which brings back thoughts of when I was 16 and had difficulty parallel parking my little Camero. Now with an SUV....big trouble!! There's no place here I've had to parallel park and we've lived here since my son was born and he just turned 49.

What about a photo on my liscense with a mask on? How are they dealing with that?

@Shanus I can't parallel park either!!  LOL!  When I visit my kids in Philly, I will call as I pull up and they will come out and hop in the car to park it for me. 

Where my son lives it's not too bad but where my DD just moved to the streets are so narrow & tight I find it too scary to attempt parallel parking.  I wish they would just move to the suburbs!

As for photo ID, mine is going to expire this May.  Penndot will use my old photo because of the pandemic.  I'm so glad that I don't have to go in person!

@haddon9   That's funny...If there's a deck for parking to avoid the street parking, I'll walk 5 miles in the rain!!! Oh no, they need to have another photo. Mine from 5 years ago still has my dark hair and causes many issues with identifying me....I need a photo with the silver hair...badly!!