Honored Contributor

Re: Renewing driver's license ... after 8 years!

@Kachina624 wrote:

Good grief, after age 65, we in NM, must renew our licenses every single year and have a vision test.  I personally consider it quite an imposition.   You kill 2-3 hours waiting at the DMV for your turn.  It's almost like harrassment.

@Kachina624   ITA. I've always thought if you've had no moving violations, tickets, citations, you should just get a renewed license in the mail.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

My state I believe the age was 72 for having to go to the DMV to renew mine. My record has been clean since a 1960 speeding ticket driving to work on graveyard shift. Did the vision check only. Think the driving test and written test parts depend on one's driving record as far as moving violations and/or accidents.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

In Georgia once you hit 65, you have to have a vision test. I took my friend last week to get hers renewed and it's good for 8 years.  She had to make an appointment and if your name isn't on the list, they won't let you in.

Sometime ago I renewed mine and you get the paper license and then the permanent a few weeks later.

As I was about to get in  my car I looked at the paper and there was no signature what soever. I went back in and showed it to the Agent and I had to take another picture and sign again. She was so busy talking that she didn't realize what was happening.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@MOMMAVik wrote:
Yes, after 8 years I am due to renew my license by my birthday in April. I live in Wisconsin. Able to fill out the application online to save a trip out to DMV. Still had to make an in-person appointment though. I'm thinking it is for a vision test, believe it is required after 8 years. I will "die" if I will have to taken a written or worse yet road test! Better brush up on the road signs.

I would appreciate if anyone has any idea of what I may be in for! Thank you so much for any info or personal experience you would care to share! Please keep your fingers crossed for me!!

@MOMMAVik   There is also a test that you take on a computer, which replaces the written test.   I studied for weeks, off and on, but really binge studied the last week.  I would have gotten 100, but the one question, which was not on any online tests, but that I thought must be a law, I didn't go with my instinct, so missed the correct answer.  There were many lines to stand in, but with the appointment, though I did have to wait, was much quicker than without an appointment.

@mousiegirl  so you had to take a test just to renew your license? I guess it depends on your State. The computers (2) are no longer there but they were only there for you to verify who you are and then you also got a number.  This is now done on your computer at home before you can get an appointment.

Esteemed Contributor

@MOMMAVik wrote:
Yes, after 8 years I am due to renew my license by my birthday in April. I live in Wisconsin. Able to fill out the application online to save a trip out to DMV. Still had to make an in-person appointment though. I'm thinking it is for a vision test, believe it is required after 8 years. I will "die" if I will have to taken a written or worse yet road test! Better brush up on the road signs.

I would appreciate if anyone has any idea of what I may be in for! Thank you so much for any info or personal experience you would care to share! Please keep your fingers crossed for me!!

@MOMMAVik  yes, an eye exam is required if the person is over 65. Rememer to take a piece of mail with your home address. Where I am there is a line outside and they check to see if your name is on the list. Inside you will find a machine that will give you a number. Make sure you listen carefully for your number and  the announcement will tell you which counter to go to. Only a certain amount of appointments are made so it might not be crowded.

In Georgia everyone has to make an appointment regardless of age, but those under a certain age can renew on line.

Honored Contributor

Here in NY - you can just have your optometrist fill out the form for eye exam and mail it in with the renewal application and your check.  A new picture for the license is your choice.

In 2019, I exchanged my license for a non-driver ID.  I haven't driven a car since 1993 - and had no intention of driving again.   It was only $6.50 for the ID vs. $65 for a license that I had no need for.

Regular Contributor

Probably a new photo.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@MOMMAVik wrote:

@MOMMAVik   There is also a test that you take on a computer, which replaces the written test.   I studied for weeks, off and on, but really binge studied the last week.  I would have gotten 100, but the one question, which was not on any online tests, but that I thought must be a law, I didn't go with my instinct, so missed the correct answer.  There were many lines to stand in, but with the appointment, though I did have to wait, was much quicker than without an appointment.

@mousiegirl  You have to take a test to renew? I’m in NY and the only time I had to take a test was when I first got my license at age 17. Now I just mail on the test from eye dr. and a check.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@MOMMAVik wrote:

@mousiegirl  You have to take a test to renew? I’m in NY and the only time I had to take a test was when I first got my license at age 17. Now I just mail on the test from eye dr. and a check.

@proudlyfromNJ   I am in CA, and yes, a test on a computer as one stands.  I am supposed to go back in four years, not fair, I have a perfect driving record.  DH was told he had to go back in three years, but recently received a notice that he doesn't have to for another four years.  This may be due to the pandemic.

For the eye test, the guy had me stand much farther than ten feet from the chart, at least double that, so of course I couldn't read the bottom line, so then we moved to a machine which I looked into.  I think this test is stupid as no sign that I have seen has such tiny print.  The signs here are large with large white lettering.  

Honored Contributor

@MOMMAVik wrote:

@MOMMAVik   In WA state you just take  an eye test for color blind and such... No written test unless you have lots of tickets or DUI etc....