Esteemed Contributor

Re: Renewing driver's license ... after 8 years!

Me too!  twice renewed by mail

Got a letter this time I need a vision test    I made eye exam  appointment  My eyesight is fine

still not crazy about going 

then there is that    weight thing    LOL
really not crazy about renewing 

Esteemed Contributor

MommaVik, we live in S. WI & my DH renewed his drivers license yesterday and his b'day is in April.  He had to fill out a form which they gave him, take a vision test, get his pic taken & showed them his current license and a valid passport.  He was in & out in about 30 minutes.  Good luck to you.  

Respected Contributor

You can have the vision test done by your eye dr and bring the test results with you.

Or bring antibacterial wipes to use on the DMV vision test machines. they may clean them off now for each tester but they did not do that when i had my vision tested last year and it was in February when COVID was starting.  You have to put your forehead on a plate which you push your head forward to see the eye test letters. it gets germy and they weren't cleaning it and i had to ask them for a paper towel and hand sanitzer. there were long lines of people doing eye tests...ugh

Customer in to renew driver's license gets finger-printed and Stock Photo -  Alamy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

In my state, we can renew online every other renewal until we turn 70. I'll be 71 when mine comes up for renewal next so will have to go in.  It's an eye test, new picture, and then wait for the new license to print.

Respected Contributor

In Pa., we go every 4 years. I'm good for another 2 which will make me 71. Hope there's no test involved or I'll be sticking my thumb out for a ride.

Esteemed Contributor

I just renewed my license after 10 years. Had to make an appt with the DMV and it was all handled very efficiently. 

As I was getting the "Real" ID license, I needed my marriage license, a utility bill, Birth certificate and I probably took a couple of other things.

I didn't see the vision tester machines out, so I'm wondering if they removed them because of covid. And, I had to take a certificate from my eye dr proving my eyes were checked recently.

Trusted Contributor

@cactusjack  I also had to go in person because I needed to get the enhanced drivers license.  I had to take an eye exam and documentation for NYS which was my birth certifcate, social security card and proff of address.  It was a pain waiting there for 2 hrs.

Honored Contributor

I live in Wisconsin, and had to renew mine two years ago, it was super simple! I did the online application, and then at the actual DMV, had my photo done, and took the eye test, which was really quick and simple! I was in and out in probably 20 minutes or less. I went mid morning like 1030, and it wasn't very busy.... 

Esteemed Contributor

I am surprised how much it differs from state to state.  We did our Real Id's last time we had to renew.  In RI, it's every 5 years, and it's just an eye exam and photo.   We did have to bring passports and a few other identifications and it was a little more involved.

No biggie, though.  No one has to retake the test here unless you have let your license totally expire.

Honored Contributor

Mine is due to be renewed this July. With no tickets or violations, I should receive it for another 5 years, but I turn 73 that month and maybe the rules change when they consider you "old".

They may require a driving test which brings back thoughts of when I was 16 and had difficulty parallel parking my little Camero. Now with an SUV....big trouble!! There's no place here I've had to parallel park and we've lived here since my son was born and he just turned 49.

What about a photo on my liscense with a mask on? How are they dealing with that?