Respected Contributor

Renewing driver's license ... after 8 years!

Yes, after 8 years I am due to renew my license by my birthday in April. I live in Wisconsin. Able to fill out the application online to save a trip out to DMV. Still had to make an in-person appointment though. I'm thinking it is for a vision test, believe it is required after 8 years. I will "die" if I will have to taken a written or worse yet road test! Better brush up on the road signs.

I would appreciate if anyone has any idea of what I may be in for! Thank you so much for any info or personal experience you would care to share! Please keep your fingers crossed for me!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Renewing driver's license ... after 8 years!

We just did the same. They made us take an eye test. I think it may depend on your age wether they make you take a drivers test. That's my assumption I don't know for sure. 

Valued Contributor

Hi there!  I had to renew mine after 8 years as well a couple of years ago and there were no written or road test required. They test your eyes of course and I had to take documentation of citizenship and residency because I needed the new license for security and flying ( sorry, can't think of the official name ) but it has a star on it to indicate that's what it is. It was pretty painless as far as renewals go... hope yours  goes as well💁🏻‍♀️ 

Respected Contributor

No written test or road test in my state just an eye exam at a registered place so you do not have to go to the DMV, or you can go to the DMV if you want. The application must have had instructions

Esteemed Contributor

In Arizona our licenses are good until you turn 65. I think you have to go in every 10 years or so for a new picture. After you turn 65 you go in and it's good for 5 years. Just a vision test. 

Honored Contributor

@MOMMAVik wrote:
Yes, after 8 years I am due to renew my license by my birthday in April. I live in Wisconsin. Able to fill out the application online to save a trip out to DMV. Still had to make an in-person appointment though. I'm thinking it is for a vision test, believe it is required after 8 years. I will "die" if I will have to taken a written or worse yet road test! Better brush up on the road signs.

I would appreciate if anyone has any idea of what I may be in for! Thank you so much for any info or personal experience you would care to share! Please keep your fingers crossed for me!!

@MOMMAVik   There is also a test that you take on a computer, which replaces the written test.   I studied for weeks, off and on, but really binge studied the last week.  I would have gotten 100, but the one question, which was not on any online tests, but that I thought must be a law, I didn't go with my instinct, so missed the correct answer.  There were many lines to stand in, but with the appointment, though I did have to wait, was much quicker than without an appointment.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, after age 65, we in NM, must renew our licenses every single year and have a vision test.  I personally consider it quite an imposition.   You kill 2-3 hours waiting at the DMV for your turn.  It's almost like harrassment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@MOMMAVik   I have to get mine renewed also for my April B'day.  We have to have a vision test and hopefully a new photo as mine is currently horrible.  No other test required in Ga. Also the price went up to $32.00 for an 8 yr license but this probably be my last one.

Respected Contributor

In Kansas it was every 6 years and then at 65 its every 4 years dang it. I have to go in June.

It's no big deal but I liked the 6 years better.

I'm assuming the place is still open this year to go in. They changed the place last time and they have chairs to sit in and they call you pretty quickly esp if you are disabled. Just an eye test and a pic!

Frequent Contributor

Don't worry about the testing. I live in Wisconsin, too, and had to renew my driver's license last year. I am 71 and had to renew in-person. There was only a vision test and a new picture. I believe Real ID is required by October 1, 2021 and you need to bring your passport to get that on your license. That info should be in the paperwork from the DMV. The WI renewal requirements are here:

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/rnew-and-chge/license-renewal.aspx