Trusted Contributor

Re: Reminiscing - Hoilday treats

@Kachina624  omg! I forgot all about those. They are available on Amazon. WOW what a flashback. I have family in Pa.. Some of my cousins have them all year round in a bowl on the coffee table.

Oh dear, I feel an order from Amazon is in my near future.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz,

I enjoyed reading your post!

I was always fascinated with ribbon candybut the really thin kind. 

And a lady we knew had a candy jar of those red hearts with sprinkled sugar. I forget what they were called.

I thought that was the greatest thing!

My mother always had the chocolate coins at Christmas and also the square box of Russell Stover too!

I was the one who would take a bite of probably yes that icky maple and put it back lol! My sister of course complained. I guess I thought well, someone else might like the rest of it.😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

My Grandma W passed when I was 9.  Before that her Chicago apartment is where everyone went on Christmas Eve.

I remember food & cookies, especially the homemade cookies  Kolaches!

It's still very vivid in my mind's eye

Respected Contributor

For me popcorn balls comes to mind. My Mother made them every year and colored the syrup different colors. We had a  white  enamel pan saved just for that. One has to work quickly and butter up the hands. She would wait until  I got home from college to make them to have help. I think  her growing up in the depression it was an inexpensive treat for six kids.

She also made wonderful divinity or seafoam candy. We also had a bowl of nuts to individually crack open by hand. A jar of assorted hard candy also. I liked the raspberry ones with hard outside and soft center.

I had a Great Aunt who made hand dipped chocolates as a profitable hobby. She was Swiss and they had a silver label in the corner of the box, Swiss Maid Candy.

Fun thread.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We would always get a box of See's candy and peanut brittle. My mom would always buy a couple of boxes of Cello chocolate covered cherries. She would also make  Pfeffernüsse cookies as well as iced cookies in various shapes.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Our family favorite was chocolates filled straws, pastel colored hard candy straws filled with chocolate.  They're hard to find but there's a company in the Philadelphia area that still makes them and will ship cans of them.

@Kachina624I loved them too.  There is a store close to me in Conshohocken, PA, a suburb of Philly, called Edward Freeman Candy and Nuts.  It is the coolest place.  It is a small old store with tons of confection and they sell all the old types of candies you can't find anywhere else.  I love going there.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I think I will do that today.  They get really crowded this time of the year.

Honored Contributor

My Gramma used to make boston cream fudge, a creamy blonde fudge. It was always my favorite holiday treat. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I assume or hope you're talking about those little Russel Stover sampler boxes of 5or 6 little chocolates  @LdyBugz   Oh yes, I remember those samplers too. It turned into quite a tradition my mother buying me and my two sisters one each and putting them in our stockings. If we didn't get them we thought something bad  happened! Yeah maple, a big yuck to us too! Actually I think my Dad really enjoyed that one times three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love ribbon candies to this day too!

Happy Holidays! Thanks so much for the memories!

Respected Contributor

There is a famous candy store in the city that my father would always buy chocolates from around the holidays.  My favorite was the dark chocolate covered brazil nuts- yum!  I plan on baking gingerbread men just after Thanksgiving so we can enjoy them as we decorate for the holdays.  That is if I can find the gingerbread man shaped cookie cutter otherwise they will be snowflake shaped.  I host Christmas dinner every year and I usually make something chocolate for dessert.  This year I am buying a chocolate espresso mousse cake from a fancy bakery.  Maybe I"ll get some of those brazil nuts in honnor of my late father as well. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Interesting!  I've never seen those.  I'll have to hunt these things down!