Trusted Contributor

Reminiscing - Holiday treats

[ Edited ]

As I wandered through the aisles of a store today, I stumbled upon the fully stocked candy section filled with holiday wrapped treats.  There I saw all of the annual finds like the plastic candy canes filled with M&Ms, the Lifesavers book, the big Hershey's kiss in a box, and of course the little netted bag of chocolate coins.  What made me pause though was that holiday wrapped box of Russell Stover chocolates.  Oh my!  Seeing those boxes always takes me back to my childhood.

My mom would always buy a box of the assorted chocolates and put it out a few days before Christmas for us to share.  We were allowed one piece a day, and somehow my sister always managed to score the caramel that I was hoping to choose.  There was always that one chocolate though that none of us ever wanted, that dreaded maple flavored little square! That lone chocolate would sit in the otherwise empty box until dad would cave well after Christmas and eat it.  "Waste not, want not" he would say.

That candy aisle had me fondly reminiscing about other holiday treats.  My one grandmother always had a small candy dish filled with those pastel colored butter mints.  My other grandmother always set out a box of ribbon candy.  What holiday treats bring back memories for you?  

P.S., So fun to read the replies!  And yes, I did buy a box of those chocolates yesterday, but I got the Pecan Delights!  Ate two of them already when I got home.  🤗

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reminiscing - Hoilday treats

@LdyBugz  I always chose the coconut one and I would spit it out! I remember my mom would bake the cookies with the apricot in them and they were and are my absolute favorite. 

Trusted Contributor

@godi  That is too funny!  I love the coconut!

Honored Contributor

For Christmas, my mom would buy the 5 lb. box of Russel Stover at the drug store.  I thought that was the height of luxury !  It was a lot of candy, but with company and family it all was eaten. My favorite piece was the pink nougat with dark chocolate, yum. By New Years there were a few stray pieces, but they too were devoured, no chocolate left behind. 😆

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My childhood Christmas times was full of special treats.  My mother and older sister would make hundreds of cookies...many different types.  They would be in containers piled to the ceiling in our cold pantry.

We would also have candy....clear toys, M&M's, Hershey kisses and ribbon candy and other hard candy...some filled with nuts or soft fruit stuff.  There were bowls of nuts and nut crackers.

We always had home made fruitcake that had so much booze in

it that you would stagger from even smelling it.

There were boxes of chocolate and My favorite was chocolate covered cherries.

Our house would have whole hams and Italian meats, cheese and olives.  Lots of it.

My very favorite treat was Franks soda. It was made in Philadelphia  My father would get a case of orange and a case of Black Cherry Wishniak.  This was the only time when we had soda's in the house.  I would sneak a can or two and drink it savoring the wonderful flavor.  I still dream about drinking the Cherry...yummy.

We went to a Christmas Pary every weekend after Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas and the week after Christmas we would have folks over every night.  So December was a good treat month for us.  After that no more treats until Easter time and no more soda until next December.

Trusted Contributor

@LdyBugz  The Cello chocolate cherries. The white box with the red ribbon on the front. We always had a few boxes of them. When you bit into one the liquid filling would run down your shirt. lol

Respected Contributor

@Carmie My mother loved chocolate covered cherries. She was the only one who liked them so she got the whole box to herself.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie  Growing up in the suburbs of Cleveland, we had something similar to your Franks.  Ours was "Little Toms".  Dad would buy a case of different flavors for us and all of our cousins to drink during the holidays.  Cream soda or root beer was the best!

1637459457981.jpg

Honored Contributor

@On It   I always get my own boxes. ( plural)  I buy the dark chocolate ones. My DH will only eat milk chocolate.

I hide them too...in my panty drawer.  I don't often share them.

Honored Contributor

Our family favorite was chocolates filled straws, pastel colored hard candy straws filled with chocolate.  They're hard to find but there's a company in the Philadelphia area that still makes them and will ship cans of them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment