Honored Contributor

Re: Remembering little holiday decorations from years ago..

I used to have 5 ornaments that my great great grandmother brought  when she came to America from Germany.Unfortunately, I dropped and broke one so now I have only 4.They are old fashioned mercury glass. In comparrison to the new mercury glass they are very heavy.

I have every type of ornament - the tree is very old fashioned.I have some made of plastic - glass -wood and fabric but every single thing on this tree has some meaning to me. Some of them my Mom & I made - some were gifts - some inherited etc. A very few I purchased, but for a special reason. All in all , there is a lot of emotion tied up in my Christmas tree.

Super Contributor

Not exactly a decoration, but a story about one...

When my son was little, we had a tiny Santa made from paper with a plastic head...it was only a couple of inches high and I have no idea where it came from...the funny thing is that the face on Santa was really kind of scary...so we started calling him Evil Santa and my son and I would hide him in each other's rooms...so months later (sometimes years!) suddenly we would come across Evil Santa in a strange place (like hidden in a pair of socks)....

Just the other day I found Evil Santa in the back of a drawer - had not seen him in years, but I'm sure my son (now 30 years old) put him there...now it's my turn, but since my son now lives hundreds of miles away, I may have to put him in a Christmas gift....

PS Evil Santa has deteriorated into just a plastic bald head (no hair or beard) and an armless body....

Valued Contributor

I love to hear your stories and thoughts,Please keep them coming....I always find it amazing how much of our lives are tied up in seemingly  ordinary things.I can actually feel the emotions come back while handling these decorations. I wish you all a season of more memories and all the joy your heart can hold.Embrace the lights that remind us that  the things in life that trouble us ,are made  lighter by the peaceful glow..Happy Holidays Friends! Love and hugs, MaryAnne 

Honored Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

Not exactly a decoration, but a story about one...

When my son was little, we had a tiny Santa made from paper with a plastic head...it was only a couple of inches high and I have no idea where it came from...the funny thing is that the face on Santa was really kind of scary...so we started calling him Evil Santa and my son and I would hide him in each other's rooms...so months later (sometimes years!) suddenly we would come across Evil Santa in a strange place (like hidden in a pair of socks)....

Just the other day I found Evil Santa in the back of a drawer - had not seen him in years, but I'm sure my son (now 30 years old) put him there...now it's my turn, but since my son now lives hundreds of miles away, I may have to put him in a Christmas gift....

PS Evil Santa has deteriorated into just a plastic bald head (no hair or beard) and an armless body....

@SunnyfieldNow that's funny.  LOL  Poor Evil Santa.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My husband and I loved the bubble lights as kids we had.  

Trusted Contributor

Love reading everyones stories and memories!

I am really missing my Mom this year. She made Christmas so special. A couple of my favorite things she decorated with when I was a child were the "original" stuffed Coca Cola Santa (always at the bottom of the staircase) and she had a huge brandy glass that she filled with colored glass balls and tinsel that sat on the coffee table. (we could look but not touch, lol) We had all of the other usual holiday decoration, but these 2 things always make me think of her.

Honored Contributor

DH and I still use the ornaments he made from an ornament kit I bought the first year we were married.  I did ceramics for everyone.  They're 42 years old!!!

Honored Contributor

i made one of my most favorite decorations my avatar for the season.

it was my moms when she was growing up......i also have a snowman from the same period of time. she said they were sold as fundraisers in school and filled with candies. i cannot recall the name of the company that made the plastic santa and snowman, but i know i will always treasure them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein