Honored Contributor

On a realitor's site, I was able to see the house my father built in the country.  I imagine it was staged to be sold or the owner was very talented.  I loved the changes they made, which were the areas I didn't like then!

Never liked the idea of pale turquoise cabinets or the formica tables with the metal legs from the 1050's!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

On a realitor's site, I was able to see the house my father built in the country.  I imagine it was staged to be sold or the owner was very talented.  I loved the changes they made, which were the areas I didn't like then!

Never liked the idea of pale turquoise cabinets or the formica tables with the metal legs from the 1050's!

Hey! Don't knock the 50s, girl! Just kidding. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Yes, my brother and I drove thru our old neighborhood a few years ago to the house we grew up in---someone bought it to flip---they did alot of moving walls and closing doorways and re arranging the rooms---looked good. Was still in construction tho ---dang, I HATED that house!!! I think my folks bought it for $12,000 in the 60's, now worth over half a million----what???????

@wagirl 

From the price you mention, it must be in a Prime real estate zone. Our home we bought in 2000. Were we to move this house out to the west coast? Probably worth close to 2 million bucks.

My wife's cousin just moved back to California and bought a house. She lived there for years and decided to move back here. She bought a nice home in a city about 25 minutes from us. Nice, but much smaller than our home.

She recently told my wife the house she bought in California, was half the size and 3 times the cost of the one she sold here. As my real estate broker sister told me for decades. "It's location, location, location"!

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Judaline 

I know a lot of people love the 1950's and 1960's but it was a "design black hole" for me.  I didn't like anything I saw until I was older, around the time pants suits came out and Twiggy.

In college, I had a hip length navy tunic with an appliqued white border of swirls and matching solid navy pants.

Honored Contributor

Re: Remembering When

[ Edited ]

I live within walking distance of my childhood home, but I don't visit often.  The house has not been kept up at all.  It makes me sad. Pigs must live there.

I also live within walking  distance of the home we owned when our children were young.  We sold it to a family who lived there about thirty years.  It sold 9 months ago, and just sold again last month.

My DH said the new buyer is renting it out.

There is a friendly spirit ( ghost)  who lived in that house.  I, as well as my youngest son would see him almost everyday. The people who bought the house from us had a son who also saw him.

My guess the people who bought the house last year did too and didn't stick around to get to know him.  They were only there 8 months before they listed it.

I wonder if the new owner saw the ghost too and decided to rent it out.  It is a big house with 5 bedrooms....probably someone with lots of kids will want to rent it.

That house has a history....I wish I knew what it is.

Respected Contributor

I did go back to the house I grew up in. It has been kept well. All the memories came back of course. Good ones but I just wasn't ready for the mixed feelings. Haven't gone back since.

Esteemed Contributor
My parents bought their home new in 1938 and lived there until my Dad passed in 1998. I grew up in that home and lived there from 1945 until 1966. Haven't seen it in person since we sold it but frequently look at it on Zillow. I'm pleased to say that it has been updated and is very pretty and the neighborhood is still very nice. Many fond memories.
Honored Contributor

I have wonderful memories of my childhood homes in the city. I wouln't go back.   It is now a crime ridden part of the city. Back in the 50's and 60's there was almost no crime and we could play outside at dark with no worries. It's really pretty sad. Every day there is another murder. I do remember all the good times but am sad for the kids who don't have that same experience. 

Respected Contributor

Similar to Jubilant's experience:  no, because the neighborhood has deteriorated.  We moved just in time.  Back then, my brother and I hated to leave: We loved the school and had many friends.  But, my parents made the right decision.

Valued Contributor

I am in the neighborhood of where I grew up every day because of where I work. Have driven by my old house many times. Still looks the same except of course it has been painted. My mom always liked it white with black trim and a red door. It is now a very dark blue with black trim. 

The street it is on was widened, so a lot of our yard was gone. 

There was an open house a few years ago, and I went. Had to park down the block and walk to it  and it was so strange walking in that neighborhood again. I have to say so many memories came flooding back. Was very bitter sweet!!!!

House looked almost exactly the same inside. Not much changed except they painted the kitchen cabinets. Even had the same light fixtures. 

It was a very small home and my mom said she would lay awake and worry about having any problems making the $99.00/month mortgage. (It was built somewhere in the mid-late 50's). Can't believe my parents raised 4 kids in it and it only has 1 bathroom! And we all came out alive. The horror!!! LOL

cookin