Honored Contributor

Re: Remember This? What Were you doing?

[ Edited ]

I had recently finished a year of living and working in NYC and was returning to Washington, D.C., to start a new job, move into an apartment and return to an old romance.  My first husband and I were in divorce proceedings.

Although rekindled, that romance once again crashed and burned.  I remember the gentleman fondly, though.  We remained friends, but after I became engaged to my wonderful second husband, the old flame had the decency never to contact me again.  (He was the one who would always call up and ask me how I was doing.  How I appreciated his respect for my new situation and upcoming marriage.) 

ETA:  I feel I must add that I was "put on hold" for finalizing the divorce because first husband made himself unavailable.  All year he was busy at grad school at NYU, and in the summers he would visit Greece until it was time to return to grad school.  Since divorce was an embarrassment for us at that time, his father wanted us to divorce in hubby's hometown, where dad-in-law was a lawyer and had a lawyer friend who would (and ultimately did) discreetly handle the divorce.

And I loved this song! 

Valued Contributor

@ECBG   I would have been 4, but I do know that song!

My parents had great taste in music and loved a variety of artists. 

The first song I have memory singing was Nancy Sinatra's "Summer Wine". I had to look it up on youtube and am playing it right now. I still remember it Smiley Happy

Wow....those were happy times!

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

In 1971 I was a newly married military wife living with my husband in Darmstadt, Germany.

I was in Ludwigsburg, just an American kid -- not military.

@J Town Girl   Do you remember the Chinook helicopter crash the next month (August)?

I do.   My husband was stationed at Cambrai base and even though no one I knew was involved it still was shook us up.  I guess that base in Darmstadt is now closed.   I have such wonderful memories of both visiting the base and living in Germany.   

I came from a small town and never dreamed that I would have the chance to live in Europe.  When my husband got orders to Germany everyone in my family was so thrilled for me.   I wish that we had done more traveling to a few other countries while we were there but we were young and money wasn't all that plentiful at the time.  

We did at least get the chance to travel to France.  I was always grateful I got to see another country besides Germany.

Super Contributor

I was in elementary school and not paying attention to music shows quite yet. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my all-time favorites.  Takes me right back to my freshman year of college.  Loved the Chi-Lites, the Stylistics, and the Delfonics... all 3 are on my i-Pad shuffle when I'm out walking.  They lengthen my stride and pick up my pace.  Thanks so much for this, @ECBG !!!

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Celebrating my first birthday. 

I love this old school music.  I am still fighting with my niece over the appreciation of funk, soul and R&B.  I even threw out a gimme with Rod Stewart and nothing.  

Right there with you, @Laura14   I was 2 1/2 months shy of my 2nd birthday but I also love this music!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I don't remember it and have no idea who is singing it. 

1971?  Working Graveyard Shift/Auto Racing around the Midwest/Playing in, and running my Adult Hockey League. Working those hours wasn't conducive to having too many dates.

Many I dated didn't think spending a Sunday/in the hot sun/listening to loud race cars/in an area with dust in the air, as a great date.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember them at all but I do remember back in 1975 when Etta James sang "I'd Rather Go Blind."  That song came back much later due to American Idol.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I was 5, playing with my baby dolls.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

This song came out in October, 1971. I was a senior in high school. I was engaged to my first and only boyfriend. The, then, love of my life. It was a wonderful time for me. I was very happy! I graduated that June, 1972. Sweet memories.🙂

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran