Honored Contributor

Re: Remember This? What Were you doing?

Don't recall the music .... never much interested in soul music.

In 1971, I turned 29 .... living in LA about a year and working at a major stockbrokerage firm ..... and planning to relocate to SF.  

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ECBG 

So fab!

Love the song and the slow drag dance moves.  The voices!

The outfits are perfection...all that natural hair is beautiful and amazing!

I was 21 that year.  I'd like to go back!

Me too!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@ECBG 

I don't remember it and have no idea who is singing it. 

1971?  Working Graveyard Shift/Auto Racing around the Midwest/Playing in, and running my Adult Hockey League. Working those hours wasn't conducive to having too many dates.

Many I dated didn't think spending a Sunday/in the hot sun/listening to loud race cars/in an area with dust in the air, as a great date.

hckynut 🏒

@hckynut On a date John, it's advisable to do something you mutually enjoy, lol!!!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the movie The Five Heartbeats was based loosely on a combination of the Chi Lites,  The Dells ...  along with the Temptations ...  it's a good movie with some great songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daa10n31fyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vp6riby_zg

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

But they were the ones that said "I would love to go with you"! Most never went a 2nd time. Guess they weren't into getting a nice sunburn and sweating(perspiring) and leaving with a thin layer of dried dust(mud) on them. They didn't even seem to enjoy the beer later at the bar, they did eat the food though!

Couldn't take them to the hockey games unless they drove there themselves. I had to leave games early at times and head to work, yep I was and am always early, even my jobs. Don't remember any girls taking me up on hockey games. 😥

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut I would have preferred hockey, myself.

Trusted Contributor

Married 3 years; teaching third grade. Never watched Soul Train. I was an American Bandstand girl in junior high and high school.
Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom - I was also a freshman in high school.  I remember our embroidered peasant blouses and bell bottoms, chunky platform shoes, and long straight hair (no bangs) that we literally ironed on ironing boards!  I was a huge fan of both American Bandstand and Soul Train.  Love the perfectly coordinated dance moves on ST! 

This all reminds me of the show American Dreams starring Brittany Snow.  Loved it.    

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:
Married 3 years; teaching third grade. Never watched Soul Train. I was an American Bandstand girl in junior high and high school.

@CJC I guess these artists were on Soul Train, I heard them on the radio.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I was in the same place you were as my DD was born in 1970 also,  We were moving back home to Michigan from Little Rock husband had just been discharged from the Air Force.  Those were good memories.