Trusted Contributor

So last week I celebrated my 46th birthday.  I don't know, maybe I'm going through a mid-life crisis or something like that.  Whatever it is, it's working and I wanted to share my journey with all of you.

I have come to the realization that I cannot change others.  I need to change the way I react to others.  A good example of this being the situation with the neighbors.  It has been so stressful and on many levels still is.  I learned to let it go and live my life ~ and live it well.  After all, a life well-lived is the best revenge, right?  

I am getting rid of all the negative people in my life.  The ones I cannot get rid of, such as certain family members, I am limiting my time with.  

I started exercising on a daily basis again, and I feel great.  I'm one of those people that doesn't weigh myself ~ I find the scale too discouraging.  I base my progress on how my clothes fit and know what?  Just this week alone I wore two different maxi dresses that haven't seen the light of day in about two years.  I got my hair professionally cut and (although the gray was minimal) colored.  I purchased a new moisturizer (Olay Regenerist ~ awesome stuff) and actually have a glow to my complexion.  I am wearing lipstick again.  When I first started shopping for lipstick I was afraid I would look like a middle-aged clown.  Now I don't leave the house without it on.

I am planning on travelling to two different states to look at cabins ~ and travelling it alone.  This is something I would NEVER do in the past.  Now I can't wait.  All I need is a full tank of gas and my music and I'm off.  For me to leave the security of my hometown and go it alone is huge.

I went to a party with my husband this past Saturday.  I received the nicest card from the hostess telling me how great it was to see me and how wonderful I look.  I visited a friend today and she told me I look amazing.  Wow.  Those are compliments I was starving for.  You see, the mirror hasn't always been my friend.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm sharing all of this.  Maybe it's part of the reinvention ~ putting it out there, sharing my story.  I feel good.  Oh, I know there are going to be people and times that will make me want to pull my newly colored hair out.  That's life.  The difference is now the good outweighs the bad.  Negativity and nastiness are no longer an option.  I don't want it in my life.  After all, with all the good there isn't room for it anymore.

Thanks for reading my story!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Julie928

Good for you!

Thanks for sharing...I think your story is inspirational!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928  I'm so happy for you! Keep it up.  Don't stop!

Last year I lost 20#, down to 115.  I felt fabulous. I gained 10 back, now I'm miserable. Yet still can't get myself to workout.  I turned 59 in April.

Super Contributor

You go girl.     I have a sticker on my laptop screen, it reads:  Whatever you want to do, do it.  There are only so many tomorrows.   So I say Go, Do, and don't hurt anyone, including your self.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Reinventing Yourself

[ Edited ]

@Julie928

Hi, what a nice thread!! Your positive attitude and changes are inspiring. Keep it up and thanks for sharing Heart

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎈TOO!!! 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

Happy 46th! 

I'm slightly older than you and boy you sound familiar.

Life is hard and throws so many curveballs.

Very proud of the positive way you view life and what YOU need to do to make YOU happy.

If happiness means sometimes having to guard it so be it.

Wishing you heartfelt continued success!

Esteemed Contributor

So proud of you. You're going to love your new perspective. New season. New normal. I had same pivotal moments at age 48, the same year I had hysterectomy, highlights hid gray hair and reading glasses showed up in my handbag. Back to the gym and more focus on personal routines that enhanced my appearance and health. Took the time to read inspirational authors like Henry David Thoreau and actually finished novels I started. Watched less local news reporting negatives. Decreased my friends circle because over the decades I spent too much time with needy friends who asked advice with no intention of changing. They just took up other people's time. (Husband's suggestion) Put healthier boundaries in place with a few negative family members. Gratitude walks. Gave more compliments. Complained less. Talked nicer to family. Gosipped less at work. Just changed my attitude in general. Became tougher and kinder at the same time. 

I took the road less traveled by and it made all the difference! (thank you, Robert Frost)          

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reinventing Yourself

[ Edited ]

@Julie928: you go girl!

I am 10+ years older than you and I am making big changes, too. No DH, so I'm a solo act. Just sold my house and signed a contract for a townhouse. Moving across the state near DS & DDIL but know not another soul. Will miss my home, my town and my dear friends terribly, but I'm moving ahead in faith,not fear. Downsizing big time.

Bring on the next chapter! Can't wait til the moving is behind me!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck in your time travel.

This sounds like a building block for changes in life, going forward.

Things begin to seem more finite, as one ages.  At least for me.  I'm a decade+ older. Doesn't make me wiser, though!

I learn, and then regress.  Then learn again.  That hasn't changed.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I loved reading your story.  It’s inspiring - I need to print it out and read it every day!  😃