Honored Contributor

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Etiquette

@stevieb wrote:

The rehearsal dinner is for the couple's immediate families and their attendants. In other words, for those who have a role in the wedding.... Hence the term 'rehearsal' dinner... It's not intended as another mini-reception and it's not intended for 'out of town family'.

@Annie107  - @stevieb 's post is exactly how I feel - along with numerous other posters in this thread.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Why does everything have to be a huge blow-out party of the century?

Bridal shower - blow-out party

Bachlorette party - blow-out destination party

Rehearsal dinner -  blow-out party

Wedding - pull out ALL the stops, even the Royals can't top

Reception - Invite everyone you ever said "Hello" to and every table MUST be look look like it came straight from a bridal magazine.

Flowers

Music

Videographer

Photographer

Live band

Gifts for the groomsmen and bridesmaids, best man & maid of honor

Balloons

Turn the dance floor to a hip-hop happenin' night club

It's like everybody is trying to out-do everyone else.

It has become a competition.

Who can have the most lavi$h wedding.

My mother in her infinite wisdom, always told me that if I get married, to elope.

And if I ever do get married, I plan on doing just that.

You are spot on.  DH, his sisters and I all agree that if we had to do it all over again we would just elope.  Our weddings were all 20 years ago and were not at all extravagant. 

I'm going to try pushing my kids towards elopment.  There are much better uses for the money.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree @mimomof4 with your idea of eloping.  Unless one is extremely wealthy, why thow all that money out the window for a one-day extravagent event?  Help the bride and groom buy a house instead. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, either keeps things  financially manageable  so that monies can be used for  more important things like owning  their own home or paying off student loans !    According to statistics  many  marriages erode due to financial strain  .

Super Contributor

mimom: Weddings are susposed to be for the family. I'm not into weddings myself and really don't like how competitive & commercial they have becomeSmiley Sad Not 4 me.

Valued Contributor

My niece married a few years ago.  The grooms parents picked up the tab for the rehersal dinner which is typical tradition but they had a limited budget.  What they did was limit the head count at the dinner but the morning after the wedding, the mother of the bride held a continental breakfast at her house as a "thank you" for out of towners.   I thought it was a nice compromise.  The thing I liked about this is that it respected the grooms parents budget....I think that is important.