Honored Contributor

Re: Registration Renewal Online Price Increase

As in many states, in CA, your registration fees are based on the value of your vehicle.  Seems fair to me 

it works that way with home taxes in all states, doesn’t it?

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

As in many states, in CA, your registration fees are based on the value of your vehicle.  Seems fair to me 

in maryland, we have flat rate registrations fees depending on whether it is a car, truck, or motorcycle,etc.... once paid they are good for two years. if you sell the car in less than a year, you can recoup your second year of registration once you turn in your tags when your car is sold. for a standard car we are paying $135 for two years of registration.

@september

i have always been fascinated with property taxes in california. yes, ours here in maryland are based on what your home and property are worth in the given year.

in california though, your property taxes are based on what you purchased your home for. so, for example......if you purchased your home in 1980 and paid 300,000 for it, that is what your property tax is based on year after year. it doesnt go up if your home is now worth 700000.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

When we moved to Florida we were informed at the time of closing on our house that we only have 30 days to register to vote, register our cars and get a Fl drivers license. They gave us a list at the closing of the paperwork we'd need and it was extensive.So we get all our paperwork together and trot off to the county office building. At this time we owned a fifth wheel camper, a pickup truck and an SUV. We had to show our proof of insurance, no problem. Had to go thru showing my reason for different name than birth certificate, no problem. But the whole time we were there the clerk kept punching numbers into an adding machine.Finally, he gave us our temporary drivers licenses, and the license plates for our 3 vehicles and hit the total on that adding machine. He asked if either of us had a heart problem & we laughed and said no, so he gave us the total , IT WAS $1150 !!!! To register 3 vehicles and get 2 drivers licenses !!!!

Honored Contributor

GA charges or passes along the credit card fee if you want to pay online so I usually walk it into the DMV and grab my tags for the year.

We actually got a break years ago when they did away with the ad valorem and now instead of $100 plus it's about $50 with the emissions test cost included.  

Frequent Contributor

I live in MA too and just renewed my registration on line in Oct for $60.00 (same as it has been).  To my knowledge fees have not gone up.  Make sure you are on the Mass.gov web site to renew and not a site that disquises itself to look like the State's.   

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@september  I agree. It seems fair. Yet in FL, taxes on homes remain on the price of what you originally paid for that home.

My sister and BIL bought their large, older home on Bay Shore Blvd. in Tampa, FL over 30 years ago for a very reasonable amount. They sold it last summer for well over 1 Million. We were visiting about the difference in taxes of their home and mine.

Mine is not nearly a million-dollar home in Nebraska, but my taxes are much more than their taxes! I couldn't figure it out. Yes, I do have more square footage and am in a better, newer neighborhood and much better school system. My home has also been maintained and professionally landscaped. They don't care for home repairs unless absolutely necessary and do not do any yardwork at all. (That's why they sold the house. It needed work.) Then, she told me their taxes are based on what they paid for their house . . . not the value of over a million dollars!! But they insure it for the valued amount! Go figure. <face palm> Who ever heard of that nonsense? Reeks of dirty politics (somewhere along the line) to me. LOL  Only in Florida!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

it is all about the money.  they call it a fee so they can clai m that they did not raise taxes.  but it all about the money steream they want the money coming in and they never can realaly account for it.

Honored Contributor

If you pay your water bill online here the city charges a $5 "processing fee". I guess they like charging for water and for convenience
Honored Contributor

@kare29 wrote:

I live in MA too and just renewed my registration on line in Oct for $60.00 (same as it has been).  To my knowledge fees have not gone up.  Make sure you are on the Mass.gov web site to renew and not a site that disquises itself to look like the State's.   

@kare29@cuddlesmama  This is correct.  If you us the Express Renew which is not a gov't sponsored renewal option, you pay a service fee.

Sounds like she used the wrong website. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh