Honored Contributor

Re: Registery for wedding shower

I know many people hate registries but I think they make gift buying so much easier.  If you feel the items are too expensive, you can always get a gift card that can be used toward wanted items.  Before registries there were always duplicate and sometimes triplicate gifts opened at showers.  This has now been alleviated.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, what's wrong with duplicate gifts?  We got a couple and I kept them and used them!  

The best bridal shower gift I received with a large box filled with spices!! Everything you could think of to season your food~!  I was thrilled.... they are so expensive to buy everything you need.  I used and used those spices until they were gone and thought of my friend every time I went to the spice cabinet!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I would buy from her registry.

Contributor

I always look at the registry for suggestions, and sometimes I do buy from the registry.  I'd never give money as a bridal shower gift, but always for a wedding.  The registry does provide some insight into the couple's taste, color scheme, etc.  I miss the good old days, where someone make you embroidered pillowcases, knitted you an afghan, gave you an ironing board (haha!), drain board, very practical items.  Nowadays it seems the registries are filled with crystal and fancy china.

Honored Contributor

@mom2laxboyz wrote:

I always look at the registry for suggestions, and sometimes I do buy from the registry.  I'd never give money as a bridal shower gift, but always for a wedding.  The registry does provide some insight into the couple's taste, color scheme, etc.  I miss the good old days, where someone make you embroidered pillowcases, knitted you an afghan, gave you an ironing board (haha!), drain board, very practical items.  Nowadays it seems the registries are filled with crystal and fancy china.

My niece (actually on my husbands side of the family) had over $5,000 worth of china and crystal on hers - no lie...

High end kitchen appliances, really expensive pots and pans...

If you weren't fast enough to get to view the registery 5 minutes after the shower invitation was received there was nothing affordable left to buy.

Esteemed Contributor

The bride is free to set up her registry.I always check it out .I don't always purchase a gift from it.It depends on what's available when I look at it.Depending on my relationship with the bride I will spend a certain amount of money.

Lots of times only very expensive items are left.Since I don't like giving gift cards at bridal showers I go rogue & come up with something to buy.It's always nice.

I personally have an issue with registries.I don't think it's  classy to tell people what to buy you.Showers are supposed to be fun not a gift grab.There is nothing wrong with getting a duplicate or two.

I made it clear when I got married that I didn't want a bridal shower.I said the same thing when I had my baby.No I wasn't well off.Quite the contrary, back then I didn't have a pot..I just didn't want people to be forced to buy me gifts.That was just how I felt.Most people feel differently.

As it turned out I got gifts anyway.But they from people who really wanted to give gifts like my mom,mil,grandma & best friend. 

Honored Contributor

There is nothing wrong with gift registries but they should only be upon request by those invited. To include them in the invitation indicates that a gift is required. Asking for a gift is improper.

Respected Contributor

Cash is inappropriate for a shower. Wait till the Wedding to give a check or cash.  I usually purchase gifts off the registry. You are getting something the soon to be bride and groom actually want.  For my showers way back when, For dupicates,I recieved 2 crock pots, 2 toasters and 2 irons. I kept them all. The toasters and irons are long gone, but I still use the 2 Rival Crock Pots to this day. 36 years on! They made great small appliances  back then.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to thank all of you for your replies ,  you've been very helpful ,  appreciate you taking the time.   Haven't decided yet.  Leaning towards gift card at the bridal registry store .   Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

I send or give money most of the time. If the wedding is close family and I know exactly what they need I purchase that item (within reason money wise).

I really dislike registerys. they are hard to really read for me.

Green paper is always accepted and can be spent on whatever the new couple will need.