Esteemed Contributor

Registery for wedding shower

I am going to a bridal shower and she is registered somewhere.  I m wondering if you must choose from the Registery or is it appropriate to give so ething else or money?    

Honored Contributor

Re: Registery for wedding shower

Me personally, I've always given $$$.  I pay those registeries no mind. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's ok to get a gift that's not on her list, I personally think it's rude to tell people what to get you. I understand it helps prevent duplicates, and might help with what she might need. Why girls need a shower when most of them have already been living with their partner and already have a house or apartment set-up, is imo poor  taste.

Frequent Contributor

The bride and her partner usually put a lot of thought into their registry. I would either stick with a registry item or a gift card to one of the stores she's registered. Giving the bride something that's not on the registry, can result in something she doesn't need or want. cash is usually reserved for the wedding.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I will be married nine years this September.  When we got engaged, I registered at three different stores.  At all three stores I registered for more affordable (and practical) items as well as things that were a little more expensive.  Personally, I would want something from my registry, a gift card, or cash.  That is, if I were doing it all over which thankfully, I am not, lol!  The reason for this ~ there were duplicates from those that did not go off the registry.  I got two sets of carving knives, two photo albums, and two crystal vases.  Unless the registry is loaded with expensive items I don't think it's being greedy to set up a registry.  I actually find it helpful when what is desired is listed in black and white, price and all.

Honored Contributor

I just don't see any point in buying people gifts they may not want or need.  Sometimes I read about people who are going to make a point about NOT being told what to do, but I just don't see any point in getting people stuff they may not want or need.  Why spend money to do that?

Honored Contributor

I would never give money for a bridal shower.  I give money for weddings.  It's fashionable now to give gift cards for every event; large or small.  I think it's lazy.  If they are registered, I choose something from the registry.  That's why it exists, to give the couple something they want.  If they aren't registered, which is rare to day, I give a gift that I put some thought into.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore: Going to the second and final bridal shower for future DIL soon. 

I suggest figuring out your budget first. Choose from the registry or purchase something on your own. Bridal shower is not the place for cash, in my experience. Is there a close friend or family member with whom you can go in on a gift together? My sisters and I always do that and buy one substantial gift instead of several smaller ones.

Above all, enjoy the bridal shower!

Honored Contributor

I select what I want to give.  There is an item I give to everyone. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I do like the idea of a Registry.  It helps to know what the bride's color scheme will be. Even if I choose to go off the list, I know her color choices and types of items she is hoping to receive. Actually I think I prefer to buy from the list of things that the couple has chosen - avoids duplicates and honestly makes life a little easier for me. I really don't like gift cards, and I would never give money at a shower.