Valued Contributor

? Regarding Walgreens and AARP Discounts

Hello All,

I know that some time ago, Walgreens offered 20% off on the first Tuesday of each month for AARP members.  Does anyone know if this monthly discount is still offered?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: ? Regarding Walgreens and AARP Discounts

I believe so.  You can double-check on their website, or AARP's.  They sure do seem to have a lot of restrictions though so you don't get 20% off your entire purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

I checked on this for my mom, and around here it's the first Tuesday of the month.

You could call your local store to confirm their discount day.

Super Contributor

yes it is first tuesday in NY area at walgreen's.  But when it first started they gave 20% off of everything, now it is 20% off of non-sale items...still good though!

Trusted Contributor

I think you have to link your AARP card and your Walgreens rewards card to qualify for a variety of discounts mostly on Walgreen's products.  

Also I think it may depend on the local store as to what you get. To my knowledge, the one in my area does not have a 20% off policy on a certain day each week or month.  They do offer a discount like that but seems like it is only a few times a year.

On the other hand, our local CVS often offers 20% off coupons via email and it has nothing to do with AARP membership.  

Honored Contributor

Walgreens has a "Senior Savings Day" for those age 55 and over and AARP members so you don't have to be an AARP member to benefit. It is every first Tuesday of the month- 20% off regular priced items (and it did used to be 20% off everything).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Walgreens is a royal pain........you have to DEMAND your senior discount.   They just don't give it to you automatically...........      I missed out for 5 years because I didn't even know it was available.    Frankly, they are "last" on my list of drugstores..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have never had any store tell me about their senior discount. Not Harris Teeter (every thursday), nor McDonald's, nor Subway and on and on.

I've gone for a few years also without knowing. I wouldn't have known if not for someone telling me and finally got a list of what many stores offer. And I don't remember where I got it from.

You could probably search it.

Anyway, it would be nice if they told you wouldn't it?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Walgreens is a royal pain........you have to DEMAND your senior discount.   They just don't give it to you automatically...........      I missed out for 5 years because I didn't even know it was available.    Frankly, they are "last" on my list of drugstores..............

They normally have the highest prices on just about everything so I don't see where 20% is signifcant.  I'd rather just shop somewhere more pleasant and pay less to begin with.  They are last on my list of any stores.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Walgreens is way overpriced. 20% off their regular prices does not amount to much of a savings. Go to Walmart or Target.