Respected Contributor

Re: Reflection: What Should I do Differently Next Christmas?

@Bri369

I think doing the same thing every year helps a lot.

One of my dearest friends has hosted a family xmas brunch the Sunday before xmas every year for 38 years.   She does the exact same thing every year and says that is the only reason she keeps doing it.   She's got it down pat by now and can churn it out.

I think that is a wise plan that has served her well for 38 years.

Esteemed Contributor

Not trying to be critical of anyone, but I think there is too much stressing out when it comes to Thanksgiving and especially Christmas. Granted, we have a small family and I don't host the dinners, but at age 70 I have no desire to do that. I'll never have the perfectly decorated home, and that's fine with me. I now go for simplicity and don't get into all the planning and arrangements. If others want that, more power to them, but simple makes me happy and doesn't diminish the meaning of Christmas for me.

Honored Contributor

I refuse to stress myself out over XMAS, next year I'm doing even less than I did this year. It will be,bakery cookies, sleep late XMAS Day, bagels and coffee for breakfast, an afternoon movie and dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Not trying to be critical of anyone, but I think there is too much stressing out when it comes to Thanksgiving and especially Christmas. Granted, we have a small family and I don't host the dinners, but at age 70 I have no desire to do that. I'll never have the perfectly decorated home, and that's fine with me. I now go for simplicity and don't get into all the planning and arrangements. If others want that, more power to them, but simple makes me happy and doesn't diminish the meaning of Christmas for me.

It's been low key for me, for a few years.  I like that I don't have to buy lots of presents, put lots of decorations out, or mail a lot of cards.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

next year i plan on hibernating like a bear before thanksgiving....and all through the entire holiday season.......

Respected Contributor

Plans for future Christmas's include more on line purchases with shipping from the vendor (no need to wrap, box up, and pay extra for shipping. Also gift cards. There are a lot of them and it is easy to just insert one into a Christmas card. We plan on spending Christmas 2019 with our young granddaughters in Buffalo. The Good Lord willing of course. 

Respected Contributor

In reflection for next year:

Bake cookies in November and freeze them.  I rather not bake period, but that is not an option with my husband.  Please don't recommend telling him I'm not baking.  That is a source of serious arguments that cause more stress then just doing it.

DH's has a big family get together at Christmas.  Its like a smorgasbord. Instead of racking my brain for something yummy to make and being disheartened when so much is left untouched, tell them we will provide the sliced ham and condiment tray.