Honored Contributor

Re: Reflection: What Should I do Differently Next Christmas?

Our Christmas lasted about 6 weeks.  Light and trees up, time to relax and enjoy.  If I had to cram in everything between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it wouldn't be worth the effort to me any more.  

Respected Contributor

Not be sick for over a month!

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
Not being overly critical but in an effort to keep Christmas special and not a source of depression—- what will I do differently next year? Only three full weeks between Christmas and Thanksgiving!
• I need a notebook where I keep all notes, from ornaments purchased in July to gifts to menus.
• I need to practice certain menu items beforehand. Keep notes on details.
• Put all gifts in ONE place.
• Things aren’t movie perfect. It’s life.

Any other suggestions?

spreadsheet

I use a spreedsheet for my 2 big meals that I host every year , saves me a time and money

Honored Contributor

3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas?  That's not a lot of time at all.

Well, I do things exactly the same way each year.  I have found what works and doesn't work for me.  

But since there are only 3 weeks in between holidays, I might have to start shopping earlier.

I try not to stress about the holidays.  I always felt bad for people who are so bitter and can't wait for them to be over.  It's my holiday too.  Even though I'm doing the bulk of the work, I enjoy it.  I know my family appreciates it.  

Esteemed Contributor

We had 10 people and a baby for Christmas dinner.  I know some of you host a lot more people.  But for us, it was a bit overwhelming.  We have two dogs and the one year old Husky was a bit of a problem (a bit too enthusiastic).  We had steaks that were very tasty, but they were not all done at the same time, so we ate in shifts.  All in all, it was just too much.

We were exhausted at the end of the day.  Not much fun for us.  But I have never been a fan of Christmas, so I am sure that did not help.  Count me as someone who is always glad it is over.  That does not necessarily make me a pessimist though.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

This was my first Christmas of letting go of several things I’d always done because I thought I was expected to do it.   At 63, I realized it’s no longer my job to put the magic in Christmas for anyone.   

I bought only 2 gifts.   I focused my charitable giving to help local veterans, feed local families, and help local police shop with needy children.   

I added a few holiday accents to my home; no major decorations, no tree.   I cooked a very simple, stress free  meal for 13.   

My entire focus was to celebrate the reason for the season with my family; our gathering was filled with love and the happiness of being together- - -a perfect Christmas.

Honored Contributor

My humble opinion is simplify. Buy deli platters or precooked food. Decorate more simply, spend time with those you love having experiences large and small, and not money on them.

I was alone this Christmas and would have given anything to have the simple Christmas I had at home with my Mom last year. Her last Christmas. I did buy her gifts and she raved about every single one no matter how simple they were. Trying not to break down I savored every minute of that day. Before she had cancer and was doing better after a terrible year of a chronic illness, we were able to get back to church for Christmas and that was the best gift ever. I'm not a great cook but my Mom acted as if I was. In 2015 she put some beautiful jewelry of hers in a box for me for Christmas because she was unable to get to a store. It makes me cry just to type it.

Christmas is simple meaningful memories made from love. You never know when you could lose someone. Sorry, last thing I want to do is to be preachy. This is just from my heart and I miss her so much. I think so differently about Christmas now. I used to stress about it too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

I will turn the oven from 375 to 350 degrees to bake my famous cutout cookies, and use unsalted butter next time!  Maybe learn how to pipe Royal icing for next year's decorating.  Other than that, my Christmas was perfect this time.  Very low key

Respected Contributor

@Helen Bach
I can relate. Trying to master mom’s Spritz cookie. Got to practice. They taste fine but not shaped as hers. Grrrr. She made it look easy.
Respected Contributor

@ Greeneyedlady
I get it. Second Christmas without mom. I need her advice on baking. I know I tried to get her advice before but should have tried harder. Keep trying to share things with her. Guess that’s a good thing.