Respected Contributor

Re: Rabid bobcat attacks husband and wife

Scary. We've had more than one bobcat sighting in my condo complex, here in CT, within the past two years. And they were huge! There's been descrepancies with whether or not they were bobcats or mountain lions, I think we've seen both.

We have a ton of wildlife here, and we're not from from the shore, near a river...not like we're in the woods. We've had deer, foxes, wild turkeys, lots of geese (seasonally), a bear, a turtle, a snake, racoons, gophers. I'm often glad I'm on the second floor! I never saw the bear but my downstairs neighbor did.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb The tail tells it all...........Bobcat - short 'bob'd" tail......Cougar loooooog

beautiful tail sweeping the ground.

Honored Contributor

OMGosh, the woman jogger!  She comes back to see what the screaming is about, I guess. 

But it looks like she runs towards the bobcat after the guys throws it.  

I would be up on the roof of the car, no the house, at that point.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

As if a trip to the vet is not traumatic enough!

@MarieIG    What's a trip to the vet got to do with this story?  A bobcat is a wild animal.  Nobody takes them for rabies shots. 

They were taking their own domestic cat to the vet at the time when the attack ocurred.  That's what she meant.

Honored Contributor

that's a scary reality check for North Carolineans! Rabies is on the rise.

And boy do rabies freak me out! If untreated it's a death sentence!

What gets me is that the couple were catching grief! From what I read they did everything right under the circumstances. They were not looky lous invading the animals personal space when they got bit; they were aggressively attacked by an animal that was clearly deranged!

There was an incident here in S. Florida years ago where some parents set their toddler down next to some baby otters. The baby was scratched. The parents thought nothing of killing the otter 'just in case'. Huge backlash from the community. They eventually relented and got the child the shots. And of course the otter was perfectly healthy. In those types of scenarios the humans need to suck it up!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Mindy D What a frightening ordeal.  I hope their injuries weren't too severe, however, the fact the bobcat was rabid is what is so frightening.  I wish them well. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma @If you see a mammal, especially one that is primarily nocturnal, behaving strangely, particularly aggressively, in the daytime, it's a major tip off that it is rabid. The animal's brain was examined to provide definitive medical proof that it was rabid and that both the husband and wife would need rabies shots. In my area we have had warnings of rabid raccoons and squirrels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

that's a scary reality check for North Carolineans! Rabies is on the rise.

And boy do rabies freak me out! If untreated it's a death sentence!

What gets me is that the couple were catching grief! From what I read they did everything right under the circumstances. They were not looky lous invading the animals personal space when they got bit; they were aggressively attacked by an animal that was clearly deranged!

There was an incident here in S. Florida years ago where some parents set their toddler down next to some baby otters. The baby was scratched. The parents thought nothing of killing the otter 'just in case'. Huge backlash from the community. They eventually relented and got the child the shots. And of course the otter was perfectly healthy. In those types of scenarios the humans need to suck it up!

@Andreatoo Rabies used to be considered uniformly fatal for all humans affected without treatment. In recent years, there have been a of couple of survivors. This is the main reason that I stopped allowing my kitty to go outside. Many people don't get their cats vaccinated, only their dogs. Some people don't keep up with their pet's vaccinations. Ferrets should also be vaccinated them. Livestock can get rabies if bitten or scratched.  This depends on the regulations where you live. One 16 year old girls was sitting in church services during the daytime when a bat flew in the window. Two weeks later, I think I remember that she became ill. I don't know if she was bitten, or scratched because it's been awhile. I think she is one of the survivors.  In my area we have had rabies alerts for affected raccoons and squirrels (squirrels and smal mammals rarely get rabies). Skunks, bats, coyotes, bobcats, foxes are most commonly affected. If you see any of these, the animal could have rabies:

• general sickness
  • problems swallowing
  • lots of drool or saliva
  • an animal that bites at everything
  • an animal that appears tamer than you would expect
  • an animal that’s having trouble moving or may even be paralyzed
  • a bat that is on the ground
  • animals active at times of day they are usually not seen; nocturnal animals in the early afternoon, for example. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I recall reading about somewhere in the Midwest where a young woman was cured! They basically had to put her into a comatose state but it worked! The sad part is that it's been eradicated in other countries but it's on the rise here

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Mindy D 

I recall reading about somewhere in the Midwest where a young woman was cured! They basically had to put her into a comatose state but it worked! The sad part is that it's been eradicated in other countries but it's on the rise here

@Andreatoo mostly it is a death sentence. I think the survivor had young age in her favor.  Also, I think I have heard that you can get bitten and not even know it when it comes to bat.  But, you should never even handle a dead animal with your bare hands.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

As if a trip to the vet is not traumatic enough!

@MarieIG    What's a trip to the vet got to do with this story?  A bobcat is a wild animal.  Nobody takes them for rabies shots. 

@Kachina624   I don't know how your pets feel about going to the vet, but mine could get quite vocal when they realized where they were going. It was not a trip that I anticipated with joy, in the best of circumstances,  and then - to be attached by a rabid bobcat WHILE on the way to the

vet. 

@January121  @Mz iMac

This couple was attacked by the bobcat were taking their kitty to the vet. 

Hence the comment.  

Do the math.