Honored Contributor

Re: RETURNING, Dish TV equipment

[ Edited ]

Satellite companies do not want the dishes back. What they want is that electronic piece in the middle of the dish b/c that needs to be recycled and not put into the landfills. The dish and that electronic piece belongs to you. That was written in the contract when you signed up for service. 

If or when you take down your dish, recycle that electronic part. The metal dish can go to the scrappers or get creative with it and make a bird bath with it.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz   Yeah, ours was on a pole and not the roof too.  We also don't put things up there.  However, we didn't have to send the actual dish back.  I hope if she has to send it back, she calls a repair man to get it down from there.  Maybe that's why they no longer put them up there.  I'd think it's their responsibility to remove that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only reason satellite companies tell you they want the dishes back is b/c they don't want the electronics to go into landfills. It's SOP for them to tell you they want the dish back b/c not everyone will recycle the parts. Satellite companies want to recycle. They are being resposible for their products disposal.

Satellite companies are not responsible to come and remove the dishes b/c technically they do not own them, you do.

Honored Contributor

I had Direct TV  and was never asked to return the dish.  She needs to call and clarify that.  I also didn't have to return the boxes. They were presumably so old, they were obsolete.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I had Direct TV  and was never asked to return the dish.  She needs to call and clarify that.  I also didn't have to return the boxes. They were presumably so old, they were obsolete.

I didn't have to return boxes another time myself because they were considered outdated.

Contributor

I was told the same thing when I canceled Dish. I told the person I spoke to that I wouldn't do it as I'm not young and I'm not going up on the roof. He responded that it was ok just return everying else. My return went through without any problems

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@linden wrote:

I was told the same thing when I canceled Dish. I told the person I spoke to that I wouldn't do it as I'm not young and I'm not going up on the roof. He responded that it was ok just return everying else. My return went through without any problems

That was my experience with Dish. We returned everything inside our home, but did not touch the satellite on the roof. That was 8 years ago, but climbing onto the roof is a ridiculous ask at any point in time.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Nightowlz   Yeah, ours was on a pole and not the roof too.  We also don't put things up there.  However, we didn't have to send the actual dish back.  I hope if she has to send it back, she calls a repair man to get it down from there.  Maybe that's why they no longer put them up there.  I'd think it's their responsibility to remove that.

@cheriere 

Pretty sure they don't want the DISH part outside. If they want that I would tell them it's on the roof have one of your guys stop by to get it off my roof.

They do want the LNBF that's attached to the satellite outside. 

Honored Contributor

Due to changes in ownership and growing trees, our cottage had three dishes when we bought it.  And the DISH technician installed a new one in a cement base.  I'm much happier with DISH than I ever was with Direct.