Honored Contributor

RE-SETTING MY PREFERENCES HERE

[ Edited ]

A lot of talking/posts about privacy issues. I went back to my account settings here and hopefully reset it correctly. 

In the privacy settings, I went down the line I checked off NO ONE in each category. Is that correct?

*Before COVID, I was signed up for a computer course for beginners at a local community college. It's still closed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: RE-SETTING MY PREFERENCES HERE

I just went through all my settings but can't find what you're referring to about NO ONE.

Hhmm, maybe I need that course more than you do!

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl  it's under Preferences then Privacy. The defaults are already set to No One except for if others are able to see if you're online.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@shaggygirl  it's under Preferences then Privacy. The defaults are already set to No One except for if others are able to see if you're online.

. . . which is meaningless if you don't sign out everytime you walk away from your device.

I dont. Do you?

You can stay signed and leave your device idle while you're out grocety shopping, doing laundry, watching TV, napping, etc. 

The "online" only means you're signed in, not that you're here participating.

@Shanus 

Esteemed Contributor

And @Shanus , I'm sure plenty of people are registered to participate here who don't bother with signing in every time. (If ever)

If you want to post or give hearts, check your notification stream, or have access to a few other things, you have to sign in.

But there's plenty of times I'll just read without signing in. I know others do too.

Respected Contributor

The only reason I sign in every time is because I don't want to have only 10 posts per page and I want to be able to pick up where I left off in a thread.  And I have never signed out. It signs me out randomly.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

And @Shanus , I'm sure plenty of people are registered to participate here who don't bother with signing in every time. (If ever)

If you want to post or give hearts, check your notification stream, or have access to a few other things, you have to sign in.

But there's plenty of times I'll just read without signing in. I know others do too.

@x Hedge    Thanks. I seem to be auto-signed in when I get here. A few times,  I get here and it says, "Sign In" at the top right. I do sign off/out each time I finish. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

We'll that's a glitch that started this past summer (Aug?)

On my older tablet I often sign out and to my surprise find myself signed in the following morning. Shut down wifi and it can still happen.

So I stopped signing out on my old tablet..

But on the newer tablet I'll get signed out automatically if I leave it idle for hours. 

The timing for severing the poster's "online" status is out of whack. At first some posters were being repeatedly timed out & signed out after a very short idle time. They'd have to sign back in repeatedly.

IT attended to it...

And now some can stay idle all night and still be "online" ,(me, on the older tablet).

I suspect it varies by device used.

But that's an IT issue and you were addressing privacy settings changes.

As @VanSleepy wrote, the first two default to "no one" and that third one you changed, well it doesn't tell anyone anything meaningful no matter which way it's set.

So yes, its correct now and was also correct beforehand.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@VanSleepy 

Aha, found it. Don't know how I missed seeing it before but I did. THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge   I appreciate your taking time to check it out and explain it.