Honored Contributor

I chew trident sugar free gum after meals and between meals.  It replaces that sweetness I crave

Honored Contributor

Oh I so understand the struggle you are going through regarding the sweets.  I also have a big sweet tooth and its so very hard to quit.  I am trying to cut down but not doing a very good job of it.  So I started by cutting down on the sugar I put in my coffee.  Don't like Stevia or any of those as they taste too chemically (if thats a word) to me.  Maybe if you started with small steps it would help.  If I try and say, I'm not eating sweets at all anymore, then I fail within a day.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations on stopping, that was a hard one.

After I had my gallbladder out, I could not tolerate fats for a while.  I went on a roll at the grocery and soon found that things with added fat mostly had added sugar and salt too.

If you don't buy anything like this, your tastes will alter and they will be repulsive.  If the package crinkles or requires a can opener, don't buy it.

There is a book called Salt Sugar Fat (or something like that) that spells out how we are being addicted.  It is not too strong to say that.

Go for it!

Honored Contributor

Drink a cup of cold water before  anything sweet.  It won't take long!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Great you have smoking, I quit well over 40 yrs ago. Sugar came this year. Reason was I was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease in march-April (had so many tests lost track of 2 months),anyway out of all the testing i had which were days and weeks sugar was on the no no list for me. So i don't eat sweets any longer. I miss them and want them but i don't want my symptoms to return, i just put my mind to it and don't use sugar any longer.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your responses.  I think part of my problem is that I don't want to quit sugar like I wanted to quit smoking.  So, it's not "on my mind" so to speak.  However, I don't want to gain all of my weight back.  I am going to try to give it up after the holidays.  I have been chewing gum and that is a huge help.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Esteemed Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl 

You've gotten lots of good suggestions.  I will tell you what worked for me.

I buy the Atkin protein bars....the ones with the most protein, least sugar and carbs.  I slice them into very, very thin pieces and put them into a little cup with about 10 whole almonds.

During the day, if I feel myself craving anything, I will have a cup of hot tea and a few slices of the bar and a nut or two.

It really works for me, as they are sweet and I don't like eating a whole bar at once.  They have soy nuts, and it disrupts my system if I have the whole thing.

I've recently gone back to that practice as I was eating too many cooked apples thinking they were OK, but all the sugar was making me ravenous.   Even natural sugar makes me crazy. 

In my heart, I knew that was the problem, but....I hated to give up my "apple pie" without the crust.

Since I began a few weeks back, my overeating and craving has stopped.

I know some will say these are "bad" for you, but I'd rather do this than eat a donut or bread, cookies, or anything else.

The key for me is the thin pieces.

Maybe it will work for you.

Honored Contributor
I make sugarfree jello and divide it into three 8 oz lock&lock containers. DH really only likes sweets at night so he has a jello with sugar free whipped topping on it at night. I also do the same with sugarfree pudding. I know even ketchup, bread, and many other things that don’t taste sweet contain sugar. Have tried to find a decent sugar substitute but so far, no luck.
Esteemed Contributor

I wish I knew. Quit smoking 50 years ago. I don't cook since my husband passed away 3years ago. I walk by an outside mall and they have bread and sweets on sale. I don't want to walk up a hill so I walk through WM. That is my down fall.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl 

You've gotten lots of good suggestions.  I will tell you what worked for me.

I buy the Atkin protein bars....the ones with the most protein, least sugar and carbs.  I slice them into very, very thin pieces and put them into a little cup with about 10 whole almonds.

During the day, if I feel myself craving anything, I will have a cup of hot tea and a few slices of the bar and a nut or two.

It really works for me, as they are sweet and I don't like eating a whole bar at once.  They have soy nuts, and it disrupts my system if I have the whole thing.

I've recently gone back to that practice as I was eating too many cooked apples thinking they were OK, but all the sugar was making me ravenous.   Even natural sugar makes me crazy. 

In my heart, I knew that was the problem, but....I hated to give up my "apple pie" without the crust.

Since I began a few weeks back, my overeating and craving has stopped.

I know some will say these are "bad" for you, but I'd rather do this than eat a donut or break, cookies, or anything else.

The key for me is the thin pieces.

Maybe it will work for you.

@Witchy Woman @Thanks for the suggestion.  I have also discovered sugar free chocolate chips.  That helps my chocolate fix!!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!