Honored Contributor

I always enjoy going to Charm, Ohio to the quilting store there.OMG - you wanbna talk about getting ideas! they show finished projects and then , if you like , they sell kits to make those projects or you can just purchase the instructions. Their fabrics are gorgeous too.I am currently working on a guilted table runner and bought a kit to make a quilted tote. I am just loving quilting. I'd like to find somewhere to take a class.

Honored Contributor

I'm getting hands on help from the ladies I've met once in the crochet group and again in the quilting group.  You know once I learn these things and now I have some great books I bought, between these sources, I'll have something I can do for the rest of my life.  Something I enjoy.  This is making me happy.  Love to talk and listen to so many ladies and their stories.  They are so nice and helpful. (Did I mention it's the Senior Center here)?  

Honored Contributor

not a quilter or sewer, but have an interest in finding someone to make a "tee shirt" quilt. it is a great way to save your old tees and put them to another use. my daughter has so many and i want her to let some go so that i can get this done. anyone know of a person (maybe on etsy?) that can do this? also wondering how much something like this costs?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 - there are places that do make them.  You can google tee shirt quilts.

There is an Etsy shop that will do it, $175 for a twin sized quilt.

They are kind of labor intensive because each logo from the shirt has to be fused to a light weight interfacing before it can be cut so it doesn't stretch as it's being worked with.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 - 

They do take time and are not inexpensive to make. However, ask at your local quilt shop and see if someone there knows who does this type of quilting. Also, you can call around your area to other quilt shops and inquire. 

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal - you might want to take a beginner class at your local quilt shop. 

Honored Contributor

I've caught some YouTube videos this morning.  Totally into those.  They tell the beginners what they need to do projects.  It's all terribly interesting to me. 

Honored Contributor
@qualitygal wrote:

I've caught some YouTube videos this morning.  Totally into those.  They tell the beginners what they need to do projects.  It's all terribly interesting to me. 

@qualitygal - don't go crazy buying tools and gadgets until you're sure you like quilting.  They're expensive and if for some reason you aren't in love with your new hobby you have all these expensive tools laying around.

You only need a thimble, rotary cutter, a cutter mat, an acrylic ruler and fabric scissors to get started.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter, thank you for doing that.  I think the Senior Center has some of those I can use.  I wondered about the investment too, if all I did was one.  I virtually can do crochet of the same coverage area to be covered.  There's a part of me that is thinking I might just want to do that for now.  Don't want to get overwhelmed right now.  Thanks again.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD, Oh good ideas!!  I will have to start going back to Michael's and JoAnn's.  I always use to enjoy those places before.  Yeah!!Woman Very Happy

===========

Ha!  You just missed their June sale on classes!  I signed up for their 2.5 hr. "How to Quilt" beginner class.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."