Honored Contributor

Re: Question for you if you were visiting as a guest In my home

@DearPrudence wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

If it is a news crew, some bottled water and maybe a couple cans of soda will be FINE.  They will have their own coffee and water, so don't worry to much beyond a gesture.  They will be in a hurry and won't expect anything fancy at all.  I don't think many people expect fancy or elaborate today.  If they do, they are unrealistic and used to disappointment!  LOL!!

For video?  Solid colors are always safe, and blues look good.  Purple and lavender can sometimes go funky on video; stripes, checks and plaids can swim or flicker.  I would stay away from something to printed or loud that would be busy and distract the viewer.  

The mention of making a video jogged my brain, and I recalled hearing of a ploy used by remodeling companies who send out direct mail pieces stating they will give a huge discount on work if the customer participates in making a video for promotional purposes.  My understanding is that prices are inflated. The business in this example is Landmark Home Improvements located in New Jersey.

From the Better Business Bureau:

"Advertising Review
On September 24, 2010, BBB contacted the business regarding its newspaper ad stating, "Ugly Homes Wanted for Television Program In This Area. We will repair and remodel them and shoot video for training film and future TV show on Home Remodeling work. Must sign release, for purpose of filming job! This remodeling is to be specially priced out work, with compensation back to the homeowner for signed release." Per one customer, the business did not present a release or compensation, nor did they film the repair/remodel.

According to the BBB Code of Advertising, the primary responsibility for truthful and non-deceptive advertising rests with the advertiser. Advertisers should be prepared to substantiate any claims or offers made before publication or broadcast and, upon request, present such substantiation promptly to the advertising medium or the BBB. No advertisement should be published unless it is a bona fide offer to sell the advertised merchandise or service. 

On October 19, 2010, Landmark Home Improvement notified BBB that the video is in production and should be airing in April 2011.
(link to article removed by me).

Admittedly I am suspicious by nature.

@DearPrudence  LOL! No, this is not my situation!😮  Thank goodness!

Honored Contributor

If you are not a regular coffee drinker I would not invest in a coffe machine for one visit.  Take a thermal pitcher to a grocery store, 7-11 or a Starbucks that morning and fill it with coffee and you will be all set.  

Respected Contributor

Always coffee. (Buy a small pot, for heaven's sake.) offer water, perhaps hot or iced tea, and a soda option or two. If for brunch, you may want to consider wine. Never serve in the original bottle or can. Never plastic unless poolside or at a park picnic where glass may be prohibited.

Valued Contributor

I personally do not drink coffee but I have a pot for my family.  That said is there any way you can ask them if they drink coffee? Ask them what they would like. 

It could be a Mimosa like the Housewives do.  LOL!

Coffee is not cheap and it seems like a waste to spend $$ on things you might not need.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been drinking iced or cold, cold brew coffee.  You can get a couple in singles.  Otherwise, just water, and  bottled tea is excellent.

eta

if it is an important meeting, I might do a selection of  small bottled real juice, not capri sun and such, a couple starbucks canned or bottled coffee, maybe 1 mocha one black, and water.  

If it is aquick drop by water, and a few juice and drink selections.  Many people do drink coke, pepsi for breakfast if they dont drink coffee. Not me, but I noticed this when we had big meetings at the City offices.

Honored Contributor

I also wanted to add.  More people than not come supplied with their own Starbucks or Peets. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I hope you don't worry so much that you don't enjoy the visit.

I'd offer limeade, bottled water, or juice at that time of day. 

Yes, I'd pour it into a glass and add a few ice cubes.

Maybe put out a tray of cookies, or some fresh grapes.

If they are staying overnight let them know you don't drink / have coffee.

Enjoy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Cold Drinks? Iced Tea or Iced coffee  You can get it by the botle or the jug.  Bottled water is always good.  For soda, ginger ale or flavored seltzer water.  Pretty much any of those come in single serve cans or bottles.  I'd serve in glasses especially if I consider them "Guests" rather than friends.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If you were visiting  someone's home you really do not know for the first time... at 10 AM in the morning.....

What  COLD beverages( none alcoholic)  would you like the hostess to offer you?   Or what would you prefer? I have no way of providing coffee.....

AND:  would you prefer out of the container  it comes  in ( bottle or can) or, served in a glass? Is  A plastic  glass OK? Or do you want glass?

I was thinking  of offering my guests bottled Ice Tea, sparkling water, bottled water? 

Please help me!

I am still freaking out about these visitors from PA East Coast coming to visit me this Monday😶😶😶😶😶

@SeaMaiden

I'm sorry, but, you MUST offer coffee at that hour of the morning! Woman LOL Go to Walmart and get a  little Mr. Coffee maker - they are cheap. You need to calm down and quit worrying so much over these guests. I promise you it will all be ok.Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Wink

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Coffee or tea  hot always even when 98 outside 

I don't like cold drinks, or just a glass of water, we don't do bottled here just a brita pitcher.

@jackthebear  I had to sit own and fan myself after reading your post!

NO iced tea in the summer?  I am faint simply from contemplating it!  Woman Surprised  But then we have iced tea all winter too!  Woman Wink