Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those retired

I love being retired!! It is so nice not to have to be somewhere early in the morning. Especially here in CO in the Winter. I do what I want on my own schedule. I am never bored of course I have not ever been bored in my life. I am an avid reader so I read a lot. In the Spring and Summer I work in my yard taking care of my flowers. I go to lunch with friends, try new recipes at home. I just enjoy the simple things and most of all not having to be on any kind of time schedule!! I

Respected Contributor

@tashy I’m so glad you started this discussion as I’ve enjoyed reading the responses. 😊

I retired a little earlier than planned because my dad needed help keeping Mom home. She was fully into dementia by that point and he couldn’t do everything by himself anymore.  The first year of retirement was such a challenge due to this. I’ll spare everyone the depressing details. Suffice it to say it was a sad, emotional journey I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Mom has passed and Dad’s now in a nursing home. I visit at least 3 times a week, take him to his appts and to church every Saturday. But I now do have free time and I’m loving it!  

I exercise, walk, and ride my horse whenever I want. I FaceTime my sons and help older one out with his bonus kids when needed. DH and I eat out often, travel when it’s convenient (Siblings and I take turns helping Dad so right now it’s my turn until end of April).  We go to Florida occasionally for a week here and there from Oct-Dec to enjoy warm weather during the cold PA fall/early winter.

Retirement is wonderful!

Esteemed Contributor

@tashy, I am doing all of the things that I wanted to do when I was working.  I workout about 4 days a week, take art classes, travel that includes attending cooking schools across the country, lots of reading, cooking and creating recipes, getting together with my friends, volunteer teaching a balance class, and most important, spending time with my dog.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Not retired and only me so I don't have to do anything.

Honored Contributor

Great question, interesting answers.  I think "whatever I want" isn't any type of answer.  Some people need a schedule, we need a routine, we need to feel like we are accomplishing something in life, even.  Others, can "go with the flow" and spend more time on their leisure activities.  By the time retirement is approaching; we all know what type of person we are.  If op is asking the question, it's because she isn't a "go with the flow" or "anything you want" type of person.  I think that type of person does better by easing into retirement.  Go part-time which allows them to develop some post retirement activities.  Men often do that because it's hard to go from work being your life to suddenly not having that job to go to.  Women who have done it all and had lifetime career as well as family are now experiencing the same thing.  What now?  It might be hard to do when you childcare is your job but can you continue working a couple of days a week and ease into retirement?  If not, get little part-time job?  That gives you time to develop leisure activities and adjust to life without a job.  The transition was hard for two of my friends, while the enjoyed the first few months of retirement, sleeping late and shopping and visiting friends got a little old after a while.  They both managed to build post retirement lives but it took a little while.  Since we live longer, healthier and fitter lives now;  we put much thought and planning into how we are going to support ourselves and where we are going to love during retirement.  We should put as much thought and time into how we are going to fill up our days during the las third of our lives.

Respected Contributor

I was fortunate enough to retire in my late 40's and I couldn't be happier! I do what I want, when I want.

The one thing that I don't do is laze around the house in my pj's. I just can't do it. 

I go to the gym in the mornings 4-5 days a week. I play golf 3-4 afternoons a week. I travel for extended periods of time. I share a volunteer position as treasurer for a non-profit organization. 

I'm busier now that I was when I worked, which I didn't think would happen because I worked long hours and traveled a lot for my job. But I'm doing exactly what I want to do. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I retired 5 years ago at 59. It was more or less "forced" by my employer. The year I retired was the last year they would pay for retirement health insurance. I knew I didn't want to stay there until Medicare age, so I took the early out. Good choice because I was diagnosed with MBC 3 years ago and had a couple of rough years.

I love retirement. I work as a temp in a wonderful office part time. I work when I want to. Nice little bit of money for extras. I read a lot, go to the gym 3 or 4 times per week and socialize with my two good friends who are also retired.

I am as busy as I want to be. I always have goals set for my day even if it is to have a stay at home reading day. I clean the house a little every day and its wonderful not to have to cram all errands and chores into a weekend.

Honored Contributor

It was easy for me and DH. We love doing nothing but most days we plan our errands and lunch. 

Its easier to make doctors appointments or helping someone else go to an appointment.

Honored Contributor

I am a "people person" and went into retail after teaching.  When not working, I run errands, work around the house, and go out to lunch.

Regular Contributor

Oooooo this is so much fun reading the responses,thanks to all of you.  I am still doing childcare,have six kids. I had 5 of them since they were 8 was old,now they are 1,2,3,9 mths. This will be my last batch,some are leaving over the summer. I'LL decide what I'm going to do then,thanks again guys, keep them coming