Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those retired

I (we) have been retired for 3 years. I find that I really didn't know how I did all that I did when I worked. I find that there aren't enough hours in the day now, but that's a good thing.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Not retired, but work for myself.

When I left the, uh corporate environment, I was and still am THRILLED to be in charge of my own time!  For the first time in my life I manage my time.

Had no idea of that because all I had ever done was try to manage it, beat the clock, meet the deadline, make more of it, use it wisely, get there on time, basically meet the schedules of others.

What a gift!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

This is my day:  Get up, have coffee, do light household work like kitchen or laundry, watch The Price Is Right.  At noon, dive to gym, exercise, come home, make dinner or (usually!) go out for dinner with hubby.  If nice weather, walk dog.

When I was a young mother, I worked PT and volunteered in every classroom,from preschool on, also every sport my daughter was in.  Also busy church volunteer.  I gained much weight from putting everyone else first.

Now it's MY time.  Whatever I choose--it's okay.

Seannie

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

Wow. I was so ashamed of myself after reading the responses from so many go-getters that I got dressed.  Even though I'm not going anywhere AND it's freezing cold here and I was much cozier in my robe and pj's.Smiley Wink

HaHa!

@DearPrudence-

Its ok. Let me join you in my pjsSmiley Happy No shame.

Naps are good and I always take them for everyone who can'tWoman LOL

Also just hanging out is an art and good for those other times in life that are too busy!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

I retired in December from the corporate world.   However, I took a part-time position working in the school cafeteria.   It is only 15 hours per week, three hours a day.   It is perfect,  gives me plenty of time for hobbies.

Also, love that when the weather is bad school is canceled and I don't need to go out.  Will have the summer off to do a lot of gardening.

Don't miss the corporate world at all.  

Respected Contributor

@tashy wrote:

I'm thinking about retiring, I've been doing childcare in my home for 20+ yrs. How do you spend your days,just curious.

I spend my days doing what I choose. So lovely.

Honored Contributor

@tashy....good thread topic - this is my biggest concern with retiring....

Respected Contributor

When I retired at 52, people kept asking me what are you going to do all day? My response, whatever the heck I feel like doing.

Respected Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

Wow. I was so ashamed of myself after reading the responses from so many go-getters that I got dressed.  Even though I'm not going anywhere AND it's freezing cold here and I was much cozier in my robe and pj's.Smiley Wink

@DearPrudence You really made me chuckle with your post! 😆😆😆😆😆. Hope you stayed warm! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone mentioned rv-Ing and that made me think of the time I was on the interstate rushing, as usual, to work in the morning and a nice size motor home came by in the passing lane. On the side written in large slanted cursive was, “No More Mondays”.  That made me laugh all the way to work. I had the feeling this couple had recently retired and were totally enjoying their newfound freedom.😁