Honored Contributor

Question for snowbirds that own a winter home

My friend has a place down south for the winter...she was widowed last year and is new at handling issues on her own.

She found out via a neighbor that she has water under her sink..as well as the house was pretty warm, not sure what the issue is but for those of you that own a home and leave it empty for the summer, do you have a 'person' that does a walkthru on a weekly/monthly basis....if so it is a friend that does that for you or did you hire a company?  

Any advise appreciated, thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for snowbirds that own a winter home

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs   I don't have a second home.  I'm full time in south Florida.  Your friend absolutely needs someone to go into the home on a weekly basis to be sure that everything is in order.  Valves break (on water lines), pipes break, refrigerators break and defrost, roofs leak, A/C breaks down, etc.  You get the picture. Gee, I went away for a weekend about 2.5 years ago, and my water heater was burning when I got home!  

Some people have friends who check on their homes, most hire people.  Usually there is a handyman or two who does/do a lot of work in the community, and they do home checks during the off season.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ItsME ....she is a tad frazeled right now....her son lives a few hours away so he can check it this time but cannot be relied on to do it weekly.

She has had trouble finding reliable help...she had a window replaced...took several calls after a missed appointment for them to show up...same with landscaping people.

I wonder if there is a company that does that sort of thing similar to a rental property company that cleans up and has repairs made once a tenant moves out or in the situation my step daughter was in she owned a home in one state and was transferred to another state, the real estate company handled any repairs needed when the renters moved out.

Valued Contributor

My next door neighbors are snowbirds. They paid my son to go over once a week to run the water faucets and check on things. 

She definitely needs someone to check on her home. If she doesn't have a neighbor she can trust, there are companies that do that.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Valued Contributor

When it comes to repairs, there might be a property management company that can handle that. I know they handle rentals but that could be a place to start. If they don't provide that service, they may refer her to someone who can help her.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  She can check on Nextdoor.com and ask for recommendations.  Also, the local senior center probably has a list of vendors who they recommend.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

she could try contacting some of the cleaning companies in the area. we have a second home that gets used a lot during the summer months, but less in the off season. i do go as much as possible to make sure everything is working and to dust and clean a bit. i know that some of the cleaning companies in our area do winter checks on units that are not in use during the winter months. some have them come bi-weekly, some monthly.

she may also want to join nextdoor.com for her area. there are great resources and recommendations on that site from locals. it is a website and an app.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My parents were snowbirds for 20+ years.  They spent three months in florida, so most of the year their condo sat empty.  My father turned off the water and electric when they'd leave.  

There has to be companies that do that with the high population of snowbirds. I think I'd ask neighbors what they do.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I'm sure there are companies that do this. But, I'd start by asking neighbors if they know anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 : Why don't you go into any local real estate office and ask for referrals for walk thru/ maintenance.  It's to their benefit to provide this info as they are,in the service industry.