Valued Contributor

Question for Those Who Take Their Dogs to the Beach

We are taking our little Westie to the beach with us for the first time.  Do I need to buy her little doggie booties to walk on the beach?  I'm wondering if the hot sand will be too hot for her paws.  Any other hints and suggestions will be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Those Who Take Their Dogs to the Beach

@patticakes-

Hi! I think the booties are such a good idea! That sand does get so hot, enough to burn our feet!

I also would put her on a leash/harness. A wave could easily take her out too far in a second. That way, you can be relaxed about her safety and she can enjoy the water.

Shade, water, and a great rubber bone, and treats!

Also maybe a raft you both could ride onSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take my dogs to the beach often, but usually in very early morning or late evening when the sand isn't quite so hot.  I also have my dogs walk at the waters edge so the sand is cool and wet.  I've never put booties on them, but it's a good idea if your dogs will tolerate them.  

edited to add:  I only take my dogs for a walk on the beach.  I've never taken them with me when I plan on actually staying at the beach for a long time.  We go, we take a long walk, we leave.  

Honored Contributor

We used to occasionally take our dog to the beach on Lake Erie You need, of course, a blanket for her to lie on, a doggie sun hat to keep the intense sun out of her eyes , (yes they do sell these)tons of water - our dog would drink from a water bottle so that was convenient , and an umbrella for her to be out of the sun.In Erie it is the law you have to keep your pet on a leash, so we would take her a long rope & tie her to a beach chair. Our dog loved to swim- Weimaraners are very much like labs - love to retrieve from the water, so we always took her a ball that floats.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago when my dog wasn't so old (she's 12 and sleeps a lot now) we took her to a beach at a state park at the NJ shore.   Our neighbors across the street met us there and brought their dog too.

The neighbors' dog was a Golden Retriever and ours a lab mix and just a little bit smaller.  It was an adventure going with the dogs.  They both loved running in & out of the waves (but they were bigger & stronger dogs).  My neighbors' dog was very well behaved once out of the water and would sit quietly next to his owners but mine would go crazy rolling in the sand!  She would get so much sand into her fur and got it down into her skin but loved doing this.  Thank goodness we had a CRV with rubber liner in the back for her to sit on for the ride home.  Of course she needed a bath ASAP!

I have to laugh at the thought of her wearing booties or a sun hat.....they would be gone in a flash!  I do think it's a great idea for those dogs who will tolerate it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your dog’s feet are probably tougher than yours. If you take him to the edge of the water, the sand will be damp and comfortable for both you and the dog. I can’t imagine how uncomfortable boots would be for a dog, especially if sand gets kicked inside them. If need be you could carry him to the water’s edge.

If you are going to sit on the beach, a beach umbrella would be good to keep pup in  shade.  

Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs sweat from the pads of their feet. Putting boots on them in hot weather only increases the chance of them overheating. Provide shade, lots of water, watch for signs of discomfort/overheating and check the pads periodically. Have fun
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

A few years ago when my dog wasn't so old (she's 12 and sleeps a lot now) we took her to a beach at a state park at the NJ shore.   Our neighbors across the street met us there and brought their dog too.

The neighbors' dog was a Golden Retriever and ours a lab mix and just a little bit smaller.  It was an adventure going with the dogs.  They both loved running in & out of the waves (but they were bigger & stronger dogs).  My neighbors' dog was very well behaved once out of the water and would sit quietly next to his owners but mine would go crazy rolling in the sand!  She would get so much sand into her fur and got it down into her skin but loved doing this.  Thank goodness we had a CRV with rubber liner in the back for her to sit on for the ride home.  Of course she needed a bath ASAP!

I have to laugh at the thought of her wearing booties or a sun hat.....they would be gone in a flash!  I do think it's a great idea for those dogs who will tolerate it.

We were lucky that our dog -though a rather large dog, a weimaraner, loved to wear clothes. When I'd put her Lands End squall coat on in the winter she wouldn't want me to take it off. Anyway, our trainer highly recommended a hat with a brim to protect a dogs eyes in the summer  and we got one at Petsmart, and she'd wear it proudly. We would have to take it off when she went for a swim or it would fly when she shook after she came out.Also, if I felt she was too much in the sun I could throw her towel over her and she'd leave it there. Since weims only have very thin short fur she actually could get sunburned thru her fur.

Trusted Contributor

Just watch out for broken glass on the beach, it's a problem!!

Respected Contributor

We live at the shore.  Our town has very strict rules about dogs on the beach. (off season only)  Our dog (s) loved the water's edge., and an occasional roll in the sand.  I never used booties or hats.  We walked early morning or late in the day.