Honored Contributor

Aloha @Kachina624...hubby & I are traveling to the mainland to visit family next month & are thinking of stopping in ABQ on the way home, if time allows. He’s never been there & I moved away in 1995 (& have not been back), so I’m sure it’s changed tremendously. We will probably only stay a day or two & want 2 things:

1) the BEST Mexican food

2) the BEST Green Chili cheeseburger

Please share any suggestions you may have.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for @Kachina624

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife.   Well, I don't eat out much anymore but I like the Owl Cafe for green chili cheeseburgers.  They have Albuquerque locations but I've always had mine at their San Antonio, NM location which has a ton of local color.  It's right off of I-25 South of Socorro.  I believe they raise their own beef

For Mexican I like the food at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque near Old Town.  They actually serve a fusion of Mexican and Native American so you can get Indian fry bread there to sample which you can't get at a Mexican restaurant.  They have great food and a nice gift shop as well as an interesting museum.  They often have tribal members dancing on Sundays.  I had a nice conversation with a lady who was weaving a Navajo rug on one occasion.  I had a lot of questions since I have rugs.

Please remember to bring some warmer clothes than the shorts and bikinis you wear at home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife

Uh-oh.  I must interject here.  Are you looking for Mexican cuisine or New Mexican cuisine?

And the best place for a green chile cheeseburger in Albuquerque is at my house.  Why?  Because I don't chop the green chiles into some weird relish; instead, I keep the roasted chiles intact and place them -- in slabs -- across the burger.

chile slabs

And bacon is involved. Woman Wink

P.S. @Kachina624 is correct: Layer, layer, layer!  It's... chilly. Woman Wink

And, yes, some changes.  We moved here in '95.  Keeping the New Mexico tradition alive!  For every person who moves here, one moves out! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much @Kachina624! I remember the cold, crisp winter! Truthfully NM has the best climate! When ILived there, Sadie’s was my favorite for New Mexican food, but who knows...it may be long gone. Thanks again for the suggestions. Hopefully we’ll be able to make some time for a stop.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Thanks so much @Kachina624! I remember the cold, crisp winter! Truthfully NM has the best climate! When ILived there, Sadie’s was my favorite for New Mexican food, but who knows...it may be long gone. Thanks again for the suggestions. Hopefully we’ll be able to make some time for a stop.

@SurferWife

Sadie's is still around and so is their salsa. Woman Very Happy

Sadie's

salsa

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 & @just bee, (first off, I know I can check the travel sites, but I like to rely on insider knowledge when possible).  Do either of you have a suggestion for a hotel near the airport?  We may fly through ABQ next week for 2 days and need one just for the night.  I don't remember what's around there.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

@Kachina624 & @just bee, (first off, I know I can check the travel sites, but I like to rely on insider knowledge when possible).  Do either of you have a suggestion for a hotel near the airport?  We may fly through ABQ next week for 2 days and need one just for the night.  I don't remember what's around there.  Thanks!

@SurferWife

I haven't stayed in any of the ones near the Sunport but the two that are very close to the airport are...

Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel

2910 Yale Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106

Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque Airport

2601 Yale Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106

Further out are Best Western, Super 8 and La Quinta Inn.

Then there are several on the other side of Gibson:

Towneplace Suites

Fairfield Inn & Suites

Holiday Inn Express

Courtyard by Marriott

Days Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn

Comfort Inn

Residence Inn

Extended Stay America

Wish there was one I could recommend.  Maybe @Kachina624 can.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife.  I'm glad @just bee. gave you such a thorough answer because I never paid any attention to the hotels at the airport.  Never knew anyone who stayed at one so I can't make a recommendation.

Too bad you can't come this week.  Every day is going to be 52° days, low 20s at night, blue skies.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @just bee.  I did look at hotels.com & both the Sheraton & Hilton Garden Inn (I think I prefer that one) are at the top of the list.  I'm sure I won't recognize anything when we get there, but it will be fun going back, even if for only 2 days.  If I was married to a skier instead of a surfer, I could easily live there again...HA!

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife.   Surfing or skiing....same thing only the water is colder.  Can you tell I know nothing about either?