Honored Contributor

Question about neighbor who passed away

My  77 year old neighbor passed away a couple of weeks ago. He lived with his two older daughters who cared for him at home as he had dementia. I  only know that he passed away seeing the write up about him in the newspaper in the deaths and funerals section of the paper.

Even though we lived next door to him since 1992, we were not close....just friendly...hello how are you etc.  same goes for his daughters who I watched grow up yet only I said hello to, but nothing else. 

Should send a card in the mail to the family?  What would be the "correct "neighborly  thing to do being that our relationship was not close? I wonder if a card is really necessary? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about neighbor who passed away

I doubt if its necessary and I can only tell you what I would do.  I would send a card.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I would send a card.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My  77 year old neighbor passed away a couple of weeks ago. He lived with his two older daughters who cared for him at home as he had dementia. I  only know that he passed away seeing the write up about him in the newspaper in the deaths and funerals section of the paper.

Even though we lived next door to him since 1992, we were not close....just friendly...hello how are you etc.  same goes for his daughters who I watched grow up yet only I said hello to, but nothing else. 

Should send a card in the mail to the family?  What would be the "correct "neighborly  thing to do being that our relationship was not close? I wonder if a card is really necessary? 

@SeaMaiden I don't think it is necessary at all and if I were you I wouldn't worry about it at all. But if it makes you feel better and you have no qualms then send one and sign it sorry for your loss and your name and that's it.

But that's me. 

Trusted Contributor

There is nothing wrong with sending a card so let the family know you are thinking of them.

Honored Contributor

You can't go wrong either way.  Personally, I would lean toward sending a card.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden We can never be too kind or too thoughtful. Send a card and I'm guessing the daughters will appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

I don't even understand the question. In the world I live in, people don't have to be close to someone to express sympathy and condolences at the passing of a relative. That's a bizarre thought. I can only say that even if I never said a word to someone who had Bern a neighbor for 32 years, I would gave slipped a sympathy card or condolence note in their mailbox.  Is there a situation in which would be incorrect to express condolences?

Honored Contributor

Thankyou all who posted. I think I will mail a card. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I would definitely send a card. Thoughts and kindness help alot after a death.