Respected Contributor

Question about grad party gift

Hubby & I are invited to a high school grad party later this summer - for the daughter of friends.  However she is having it together with her cousin who we do not know at all and don't know the parents.  We do know the grandparents however.  Should we give a gift for the grad we don't know?  Thanks for your input.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about grad party gift

I wouldn't.

Honored Contributor

If I had an idea what the cousin's plans are post graduation, I would try to think of a small gift.  It's not necessary - but sweet and kind.  I would not feel any obligation to make matching gifts.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops I love your idea.

Esteemed Contributor

i would give her a gift.....absolutely......this is not the high school graduation she was looking forward to...........

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone - we're leaning now toward a monetary  gift but not the same amount.

Honored Contributor

I would not feel obligated to gift the girl you don't know.

Respected Contributor

Why do people put their guests in this position? I think it is extremely inconsiderate. Having said that, I would not take it out on the graduate you do not know. Give a small token gift, and give your friend’s daughter whatever you would normally give.

Respected Contributor

If you are invited to a party and you attend, of course you have to bring a gift.

If you do not attend but you know the family well, you send the same gift.

If you do not attend and you do not know the family well, you can send a small gift or just a card.

Sending nothing is rude and thoughtless, because you were invited, so obviously you mean something to the family.

In this case you could give a larger gift to the family you know and a smaller gift to the other family.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone