Honored Contributor

Question about countertop and tile for kitchen

We are doing a small update in our kitchen....I have had two different thoughts from two sales people as to how to install the counter top and tile under the cupboards....One sales associate told me to not put in a back splash and have the tile come down and meet the counter top.  The other sales person told me the exact opposite....add the 4" backsplash the put the tile on top of that.  Is there a right or wrong or is it personal preference? 

We are doing a quartz countertop with tile under the cupboards.  Thanks for any input.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about countertop and tile for kitchen

The tile comes down to meet the quartz or granite countertop. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We are doing a small update in our kitchen....I have had two different thoughts from two sales people as to how to install the counter top and tile under the cupboards....One sales associate told me to not put in a back splash and have the tile come down and meet the counter top.  The other sales person told me the exact opposite....add the 4" backsplash the put the tile on top of that.  Is there a right or wrong or is it personal preference? 

We are doing a quartz countertop with tile under the cupboards.  Thanks for any input.

Personal preference I would say.  I have the granite backsplash and the tile sits on the backsplash

Honored Contributor

I think it's probably what you like. I like it better with the tile coming down to the countertop. Probably seeing that in remodeled homes since it takes care of the gap between the wall & the 4" backsplash on crooked walls. Been there done that. LOL!!! Search kitchen cabinets with or without backsplash & click on images to see pics. That may help you decide which you like better.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

It's completely personal preference.  You've had good advice to look at pictures, or even go to showrooms, to look at sample countertops with or without the same material as a backsplash.  

I had quartz installed as a countertop a few years ago, and didn't want a backsplash because i found some pretty yellow tile I really liked.

I would recommend, though, if by any chance you are considering a glass cooktop, do yourself a favor and get the metal rim around it.  I didn't, and something tipped over and cracked the edge.  If I'd chosen the metal rim, that wouldn't have happened.  I hope you will have other options, like gas maybe.  Best wishes!

.coffee countertop.jpg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird

Any thoughts for @Mom2Dogs raven?

(Raven designs kitchens, as well as other things, for a living.)

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach...a metal rim, on the countertop?  Where is the metal rim placed?  I have an electric glass top.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs

I mean a metal rim around the cooktop (not around the countertop).  An olive oil bottle tipped over onto my glass cooktop and it would not have cracked if it had had the metal rim.  Since it didn't, there was nothing to break the impact onto the edge of the glass.

But, fingers crossed, you are not as clumsy as me!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach...hmmm I don't know if I have that or not, ha!   I am worried about dropping someting on the quartz countertop and breaking/cracking it, is that possible? 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I don't worry about my quartz countertop.  It holds up to hot pots, and all sorts of stuff.  

And when the bottle tipped over, nothing happened to the quartz.

I've read that some folks have trouble with the edges but I never have and I'm not the most careful person.

Today I bumped a ceramic coffee cup against the edge of the quartz top while loading my dishwashere and a tiny bit chipped off the cup, but again, no damage to the quartz.   (See, I told you I was clumsy!)

I also like that you never have to seal quartz.

I highly recommend it and it's one of the most worry-free items in my home.  I think you'll be extremely happy with it.