Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

People seem to think that wills aren't legal contracts or something. Tell her flat out that you are following what the will says because that's the law. Period! It will be on you to account for everything if something isn't done right. Really once you open a bank account for the estate there isn't all that much damage she can do while you ignore her. I'm guessing she doesn't want to be the one calling around to cancel accounts or handling an estate sale. Who on earth is hot and bothered to handle an estate? I guess she thinks her husband can get part of the executor fee. Honestly once the mass is over I'd answer my phone no more than one a week at best.

@pigletsmom 

You may be surprised to hear this, but she WANTS to do all the business parts!  She thrives on being "in charge" and seemingly indispensable.  I have been dealing with the control and hero complex for some years now with my dad.  My brother, her husband, once said "she's a pain in the *** but she gets things done."  Well, maybe he accepts it, but other people don't always view it that way!  She told me she loved him like a father.  I finally said that HE WAS MY FATHER.  All my life, he named me, taught me to ride a bicycle, took me to school, chased after my kindergarten school bus, watched all my graduations, always came to my rescue, walked me down the aisle, etc. 

Believe it or not. I don't think it's about money at all.  I used to, but more recently came to the control/hero thing.

She is going to ignore me, not contact me, I think.  She is furious!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad.  

Frequent Contributor

you will need a will for yourself declaring your children as your beneficiaries.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

People seem to think that wills aren't legal contracts or something. Tell her flat out that you are following what the will says because that's the law. Period! It will be on you to account for everything if something isn't done right. Really once you open a bank account for the estate there isn't all that much damage she can do while you ignore her. I'm guessing she doesn't want to be the one calling around to cancel accounts or handling an estate sale. Who on earth is hot and bothered to handle an estate? I guess she thinks her husband can get part of the executor fee. Honestly once the mass is over I'd answer my phone no more than one a week at best.

Her brother sounds like a weakling he needs to step up to the plate and lower the bat on his wife.  My husband would set me straight from the get go.

Must be a lot at stake.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Her brother sounds like a weakling he needs to step up to the plate and lower the bat on his wife.  My husband would set me straight from the get go.

Must be a lot at stake.

Exactly - and right now you are grieving so that's where you and I differ and I'm on very good terms with my sibs.  Me, I'd call my brother and tell him either he nips this in the bud bc oh BTW if he won't you will - - and you are just warning him of that.  And I'd tell him that you'll only speak to him and him alone.  Tell him if he wants to see what u r doing you'll gladly sit and go thru it with him (but again only him alone).  

Trusted Contributor

Well since she doesn't seem to have bad intentions I think I'd just hope you dont' talk for a while. And not trying to be snarky but I'd take that time to think about where she's coming from. She's obviously grieving too. It sounds like she loved your Dad and he loved her. When you take her already take charge attitude and add to it that you sound a little resentful of how she felt about your Dad I think it's probably overwhelming.

Some people only know how to help by doing stuff and that sounds like her. Plus she's family and she probably feels like she's getting shut out and like she's an outsider. So I'd give her a bit of a break and be glad that my Dad had a daughter in law that he cared so much about. Much better than the opposite for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

Well since she doesn't seem to have bad intentions I think I'd just hope you dont' talk for a while. And not trying to be snarky but I'd take that time to think about where she's coming from. She's obviously grieving too. It sounds like she loved your Dad and he loved her. When you take her already take charge attitude and add to it that you sound a little resentful of how she felt about your Dad I think it's probably overwhelming.

Some people only know how to help by doing stuff and that sounds like her. Plus she's family and she probably feels like she's getting shut out and like she's an outsider. So I'd give her a bit of a break and be glad that my Dad had a daughter in law that he cared so much about. Much better than the opposite for sure.

Agree, There is so much that needs to be done, I see no reason why the sister-in-law could not help out with some things.  An executor has final say, that does not mean they do everything themselves.  Nothing has to be done immediately, explain that to her.  Take the time you need, then start discussing a plan.  Control is a funny thing, now that you have it do you want to exhibit all the bad things you have said about her in the past.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about a Will

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  are those the arrangements you wanted.  Out of respect nothing should have been done without you. 

You should not have to do anything to accommodate her vacation plans.  It is a Mass. for your dad, and out of respect for him, her condo visit could wait. 

This is too emotional and far too hard to cope with the grief.

You will probably be in fight until the estate is done.

Stand your ground and keep in touch with the lawyer.

You are who you are and she is who she is and that is your brother's wife.

Peace be with you all.

Good Blessings to you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about a Will

[ Edited ]

First, I am very sorry about the loss of your father.

Second, I'm glad you got your questions answered.  To those who had a problem with the wording, that is typical wording on a Will here in Ohio.  If you are co-executors, it clearly states that 2 people are to serve as co-executors.  There was nothing ambiguous about the way that was written.  I work for a firm that handles estate planning and probate.

Do not let your SIL do anything.  You and your brother would both have to decline and then she would have to make application to be appointed and anyone able to serve before her would have to consent to her being appointed. And depending on the laws in your state, having someone appointed who isn't named could create a whole host of problems and cause delays. She needs to back off and your brother needs to get interested.  She has no business butting in.  She is family by marriage only.  

Why is it typically spouses who shouldn't be involved the ones who cause the most problems?  And yes as executor, you are the one in control of everything.  You are the one responsible to make sure certain things get done and once you are officially appointed, there will be a lot of things that you and only you as executor will be able to take care of.   

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Agree, There is so much that needs to be done, I see no reason why the sister-in-law could not help out with some things.  An executor has final say, that does not mean they do everything themselves.  Nothing has to be done immediately, explain that to her.  Take the time you need, then start discussing a plan.  Control is a funny thing, now that you have it do you want to exhibit all the bad things you have said about her in the past.

@CrazyDaisy 

I don't like her, and she did many things to earn that.  However, I am not the one who is trying to control anything.  I AM his daughter, and I'm trying to do what he asked of me.  She is the one who called ME and began yelling.  She then refused to pick up the Mass cards SHE ordered ,or touch anything.  She DEMANDED I come over right then and pick up any papers she had.  I told her that I could not at that moment as I was exhausted and needed some rest.  I told her my husband or daughter could come over shortly (about a half hour distance), that I would and could not at the moment.  She finally agreed to that.  My poor daughter arrived on the driveway (wouldn't let her come in) and threw the stuff at her, never even acknowledged her, and walked away.

On the phone (in her call to me) I asked her why she sounded so angry.  She just kept yelling, and I said there was no need to be angry.  She then says that her life will get easier - and I said that was good.  No sarcasm or anger on my part.  I have already thanked her more than once for her help with my Dad.  My dad wrote the will and trust, not me.  She made an assumption based on HER reading of the will.  That she could keep some control via my brother. 

Now SHE wants no part for reasons I don't quite understand.  I can only guess it is because she is upset that she is not in a controlling position anymore.  I think she is mad that I even contacted the attorney to clarify the details.  I just wanted to be sure what was correct.

No, I have been polite and kind to everyone, including her.  I hope she will calm down at some point.  I have spent so many hours coordinating everything to keep that Mass on the date THEY scheduled.  I could be a witch and say I cannot do it that day.  She can take her trip to Florida on the ticket my dad paid for.

Hyacinth