Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC Earnings for 3Q released....

Maybe Quarate can unload Zulily on Elon Musk.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fortunately, the people in the industry can recognize these numbers and interpret them for what they actually mean in our current state of flux. 

Major companies are requiring their employees to return to the office. Flexible time throughout the day is gone. Leisure dressing is no longer possible for these employees. A company as large as QVC cannot turn on a dime. Even a small independent store orders apparel with a six month lead time. To receive thousands of an item would require a lot of advance planning. Have faith. Surely change is in the works that will meet today's needs and provide a more profitable future.

I hope they can turn a corner and find a profitable path. I am available if they are hiring old people with experience.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cjm61 wrote:

@Pook seem to care and relish in sales being down. And so what?!!! 

I don't believe people are relishing the idea that sales are down. I can't say why others care but this is my reason. Before my grandma passed she sat and watched two things on her TV, the security video of cars arriving and leaving her complex and QVC. She felt QVC kept her company. She rarely bought anything but when we needed a gift for her she would always recommend an item from QVC. My mom does pretty much the same thing. This is "company" for many and makes them feel good, for whatever reason, they feel these hosts are "friends". And, they do purchase items. Whether we can relate or not doesn't matter. 

Secondly, And so what?!!! ? Again, speaking for myself, I care about families and what happens if they lose their jobs due to QVC going out of business. Not just the hosts, but everyone behind the scenes, CS employees, the mods, stage crew, the companies who sell items on QVC, all the way down to a huge loss to shipping companies. It trickles down and we all pay. 

I don't like the idea of any business closing even if there's other places to shop online!!

I don't like the idea of any business closing and caring about the families and what happens to them if they loose their jobs is fine but those posting over and over about sales being down then state they hardly or never buy here anymore is not going to change anything.  None of us can control what happens!  A company cannot stay in business just to entertain anyone who buys little or not at all even if it is company for lonely older people.  I have shopped here for 20 years but have no control over QVC or any business!!!  In spite of the few that keep doomsday posting about QVC failing, I do not buy their claims that QVC is anywhere near bankruptcy!!  I do not think anyone posting can actually know exactly what those reports mean even though they think they are so knowledgable!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of this financial info is lost on me...I'm an arts person, not a math type. I leave that to DH.

I'm not sure if these numbers reflect the recent debacle w/ new customers/free shipping which may have caused the loss of old, good customers (like me) who felt left out and ignored. 

I agree that QVC is so behind the times with their old software, slow shipping, charging for shipping and returns, no real sales (others sites and B&M stores are and have been offering 40%-50% and no shipping charges in both directions), goofy shows that are painful to watch, endless repeated merchandise....Wow! So many reasons they're not doing great.

There are lots of ways to at least keep their heads above water, but they have not and doubtfully will not in the future listen to the customers. 

Frequent Contributor

Don't understand the constant snarky comments on people's posts.  People should have a right to express opinions about finances or anything else within reason without being told to "change the channel" or "shop somewhere else" or in this case "why do you care?"  

Honored Contributor

40 years ago the shopping channels were unique.  Unfortunately, they have not been able to adapt to the times similar to Woolworth's, Sears and countless other stores that have gone under.  Unlikely they will be able to turn things around.  Trying to be "entertainment" is a major mistake IMO.  Personally, I would not miss any of them.

Frequent Contributor

I don't think anyone is being snarky or relishing in the numbers.  We post endlessly on these forums on what *we* think would help sales and they don't seem to care.  I think listening to your customers would be the number one thing a company would do to boost sales!!

For me it's the horrendous shipping and costly returns, the overpriced clothing, the ridiculous shows with two and three hosts and the LACK of products on air.  When I look at the "items on air" it's a joke compared to what they have online.  I will never understand why they beat 10-15 items into the ground every day/week and never show anything "fresh and new".

I want them to succeed, I really do, but that will be hard when they don't care about what their customers think or want.  Just my two cents.

Honored Contributor

I don't really care for myself, but I know that others would miss the tv presentations . I would miss the website, but really there is nothing I can do about it. It is interesting information.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@Beguile wrote:

I don't think anyone is being snarky or relishing in the numbers.  We post endlessly on these forums on what *we* think would help sales and they don't seem to care.  I think listening to your customers would be the number one thing a company would do to boost sales!!

For me it's the horrendous shipping and costly returns, the overpriced clothing, the ridiculous shows with two and three hosts and the LACK of products on air.  When I look at the "items on air" it's a joke compared to what they have online.  I will never understand why they beat 10-15 items into the ground every day/week and never show anything "fresh and new".

I want them to succeed, I really do, but that will be hard when they don't care about what their customers think or want.  Just my two cents.

Bingo...the same complaints come up here time and time again. The same tired merchandise, juvenile behavior on the part of hosts, the list goes on and on. 

There are many brands on the website that see very little, if any, airtime. I am talking about quality products. They need to shake it up and update their website and software. Offer some good sales, HSN has been selling clearance items at good prices, their systems always work and their customer service has never let me down and I have been buying.

I can't remember the last time I purchased from here, and I used to buy a lot. The recent ex pay fiasco soured me, and the lack of uniqueness has made me close my wallet. Even my old pal Val has not offered anything new and different enough to make me buy. ShopHQ has been getting my $ lately as well  because they offer nice things, and I never have an issue.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

What period of time are these numbers being compared to? We are leaving a period where people were at home, and spending lots. Of course that's going to come down now that people are back to work.  

Also, with interest rates going up, buying is beginning to slow and that is the whole point of trying to curb inflation.

This is not just affecting QVC but retail across the board. 

@Bhvbum   Quarterly reports are compared to the previous year's quarter at the same time.  

Therefore, these Qtr 3 2022 results compare financial information for the three months ended September 30, 2022 to the three months endedSeptember 30, 2021.