Esteemed Contributor

QUESTION RE ORDERING A TRACFONE

[ Edited ]

This may sound i like a dumb question, but please don't judge me.  Lol.   I already have an IPhone and cellphone service with  spectrum which I  am happy with.   I have an XR10  and it's paid for.  However I hate the camera in my IPhone and I was thinking at this price I could buy this phone because it has a great camera.  A friend has this phone and it takes beautiful photos.   

so my questions are:  

Does it make sense to buy this phone to use it as a camera and even though I already have an Iphone and cellphone service can I also get service with Tracfone with a separate phone number and use this as a backup phone.  

''I've never used  this type of platform but I suppose it's pretty simple.

Thanks in advance to you tech savvy folks for responding.

Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION RE ORDERING A TRACFONR

Do you want to carry two phones around? I wouldn't.

Honored Contributor

could be a potential PiTA to get the pix from android to iOS 

also the XR is almost 4 years old I just upgraded mine 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3    I wouldn't necessarily carry both around at the same time

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear    I wouldn't be transferring photos.  Just wanted an extra phone for photos.  Also at some point I will want to upgrade my phone but I'm not really ready to do that right now.    My. Battery health on my phone is still pretty good and the phone is in good physical shape.

This seems like a good deal

Valued Contributor

Re: QUESTION RE ORDERING A TRACFONE

[ Edited ]

@Teddixat 

If you feel like the camera would be an upgrade from your current phone, your idea of having the Tracfone as a backup is worth a try. Other than the initial cost, there is no real down side

The Tracfone camera will work even if the phone itself is not activated, so you can attempt a few photos before activating, just to see if you like them and want to keep the phone.

If you are satisfied and want to keep the phone, it might be nice to have a backup second phone number. 

If the Tracfone accepts a micro SD card, you can store many photos and use it as a compact digital photo album.

It also is easy to transfer photos from an SD card to other devices if one wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Highlands72   Thank you so much.  That is the response I was looking for.  That's what I thought too.  I can try it out before I activate it and if I like I can keep it and what's the downside to having a backup phone.  My next  question is should I keep my same phone number even though I have a separate carrier with that phone number or should I just get a different number.  I was thinking a different phone # but not sure which would be best.

I checked and this phone does have an SD card backup slot.

I look forward to hearing from you on that question.  Again, thank you so much

Valued Contributor

@Teddixat 

From my perspective, it would be better, and much simpler, to have a new phone number assigned to the Tracfone.

I am not even certain if Tracfone would be capable of "sharing" a single phone number between two separate devices. I would not involve your current plan, especially if it is number you have had for some duration.

Keeping them separate would avoid confusion if you decided to make changes in either plan in future.

You may even find that you like having a secondary phone number for certain situations, just as many have a secondary email account.

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat    What TracFone are you thinking about buying?  I ask because I've had them for years but never had one that took really good pictures and I need a new one. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@PickyPicky3    I wouldn't necessarily carry both around at the same time

@Teddixat    I only use tracfone...and I purchased another one at a great price last year as a backup. I keep it at home.  If you found a good deal...why not.   😊