Esteemed Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

A hamster, or a guinea pig might be a better choice.  Two, if the male/female orientation is sorted out.

They can be very companionable, and at least provide the certainty of another warm blooded creature around.

The fish in my aquarium are my "buddies", too.

I guess I don't see the decision to bring in a large dog as a wise one, either.  Not that small dogs are never aggressive, but they are generally easier to subdue and perceived as less threatening.

I realize this is not a brand new post but I did read it all and thank you for the interesting reading!

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

Reading some of these replies are making me dizzy....

First off, the dog never lunged at anyone!  He pulled on the leash.  He is a dog, and he will pull sometimes on the leash.  He is still a puppy.

And the update is, that she is going to go to Mediation.  That is set for sometime in June. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry.  The situation sounds tenuous but I will be hopeful things work out in a positive way.

I lived in an apartment complex that allowed me to have a dog that was larger than the rules stated, and I still had the dog when all dogs were outlawed for new tenants.  Eventually I was the lone dog owner and I worried frequently that I would be required to get rid of the dog or move (even though it was in the lease).

It would seem to me that some people decide to move to a condo that disallows dogs, with that in mind.  Since your daughter has gotten an exception, that opens the door for others, and eventually there could be even greater push back from members of the association.  Perhaps not.

Again, I hope it works out in the long run.  I love dogs and have always had at least one in my home.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

Reading some of these replies are making me dizzy....

First off, the dog never lunged at anyone!  He pulled on the leash.  He is a dog, and he will pull sometimes on the leash.  He is still a puppy.

And the update is, that she is going to go to Mediation.  That is set for sometime in June. 

While I agree that some seem to form a crazy idea of what happened, you did ask for advice.  All your daughter needs is a letter from her DR and a vet saying the dog is needed for emptional support.  As much as I disagree with ESA's for everyone, I was trying to help you.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

A couple of eldery women complained.

The dog walker was walking him, and he pulled on the leash, and they became afraid.  Never bit anyone.  Never growled.  But these two old biddies complained because he is a large dog.

Ugh - its not like a  piece of furniture that you can give away.

My daughter has been crying.  We don't know what to do

Hi @qvc chick If your daughter needs help with this situation she should CALL the local HUD office during business hours and ask to speak with the Fair Housing Intake official.  She may have rights under the Fair Housing Act.  There is info via the below link, which she should read, but rather than filing online, I recommend she CALL her LOCAL HUD office.  She can fish around the HUD website for the right phone number.  https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

I have not read all the replies so this may very well have been resolved.

Emotional Support Dogs do not have the same rules that Service Dogs to. They are not ADA protected.

People with disabilities may have a right under federal law, the Fair Housing Act, to have an emotional support animal at home, whether a rental, condo or coop.  Many states and local governments also offer protections.  If a support animal is aggressive or has behavioral problems that may be an issue.  The disabled individual can seek help from the government, free of charge, or a private lawyer.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick Make sure she contacts the local HUD office before the mediation per my other post, so she has some help.  She may need a letter and possibly behavioral training for the dog (or not, just a suggestion to make this easier) but this sounds like something that could be solved.

best of luck!

Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@qvc chick Make sure she contacts the local HUD office before the mediation per my other post, so she has some help.  She may need a letter and possibly behavioral training for the dog (or not, just a suggestion to make this easier) but this sounds like something that could be solved.

best of luck!

Good suggestion. 

Contributor