Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.

There are some people and circumstances who need these emotional support animals.  Many returning military people suffering from PTSD, those who have suffered through a tramatic event, some with emotional disorders etc.  They use their animals responsibility and are courtious to those around them.  They do not take advantage of their status, just try and make it through the day.

Unfortunitaly way to many people have decided to jump on that bandwagon to bring their unrully pets where ever they go. Online companies will providse you a doctors note for a fee. These are the ones who are ruining the program for those who actually need their emotional support animals.  Have no sympathy for them when they get caught.

@CrazyDaisy   @shaggygirl   People with PTSD and emotional disorders can get a Service Dog as @dooBdoo wrote about.  That's completely different than an emotional support animal and is accepted everywhere.

No, service animals are trained to preform a specific task and for a specific person.  They are highly trained to meet an individual persons needs. These individuals are considered disabled in some way and require help from these animals. 

Emotional support animals do not have that requirement nor are the individuals considered disabled.  Most may just need a little help at certain times of emotional distress.  A service person suffering nightmares, a young child who witnessed a violent crime are all examples of those who need these animals.  They are not disabled nor eligable for a service dog.

@CrazyDaisy   Go to message 37 and read what @dooBdoo posted.  

"...II. Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. 

Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Here is another quote.  PTSD is considered a disability.

The ADA goes on to provide examples of tasks that a service dog can perform, including “calming a person with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack.” And yet, service dogs for people with PTSD are often mislabeled as “emotional support animals” (ESAs), which are not covered by the ADA.Mar 18, 2019

Once again not ALL are serious enough to be considered disabled and require a service dog.  Why are you trying to denying the others help and comfort?

@CrazyDaisy   I'm absolutely not trying to deny anyone help and comfort.  I'm sorry if it appeared that way.  I definitely think PTSD and other mental diseases are disabling.  I was just trying to point out that they could get a service dog that was accepted everywhere.  If they don't qualify I certainly wouldn't deny them the comfort of a dog.  Everyone deserves that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I love all dogs and support people having emotional support dogs when needed. BUT f you do need one it should be trained as well as a service animal. So if it's out for a walk it shouldn't be trying to wander or lunge at anyone. In this case I"m sure it was more of a wander but if these ladies don't like that the dog is there they likely are over playing it.

You can't just declare your dog and emotional support animal. I'm sure you can go for training for this purpose and at least get some certification for it which would help in certain circumstances.

And I hope your daughter was smart enough to get this agreement in writing.

Valued Contributor

The only certification for a ESA is a Dr's letter, that is it.  That is the problrm.  And you can also get papers online for a fee.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I love all dogs and support people having emotional support dogs when needed. BUT f you do need one it should be trained as well as a service animal. So if it's out for a walk it shouldn't be trying to wander or lunge at anyone. In this case I"m sure it was more of a wander but if these ladies don't like that the dog is there they likely are over playing it.

You can't just declare your dog and emotional support animal. I'm sure you can go for training for this purpose and at least get some certification for it which would help in certain circumstances.

Service animals are very expensive to train and there is really no need for anything that extensive.  I do believe that emotional support animals should be trained for manners and to behave in the environment they will be used.  Certification should be required if the public is going to extend them privilages.  That alone will eliminate all those who just want to take their pet along.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Service animals are very expensive to train and there is really no need for anything that extensive.  I do believe that emotional support animals should be trained for manners and to behave in the environment they will be used.  Certification should be required if the public is going to extend them privilages.  That alone will eliminate all those who just want to take their pet along.

Yes. service dogs are very expensive to train.  I agree that ESA's should have training as well and at the very least pass a CGC test.  Another sad part is that a lot of people that claim to need a ESA are on disability and can't afford proper vet care.  I personally know someone that has a ESA and the poor dog has never even been to a vet!

Valued Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.

Exactly.  

Valued Contributor

@qvc chick  do you have a update?

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick @If the dog is behaving aggressively then he needs to go to a trainer to learn to behave.My friends daughter was bit by a dog before Christmas last year.She ended up hospitalized for an infection that cost her her legs,all of her fingers except thumbs and now must find a way to start her life over.She is finally finishing up her rehab and trying to figure out the rest of her life.

Valued Contributor

@dex wrote:

@qvc chick @If the dog is behaving aggressively then he needs to go to a trainer to learn to behave.My friends daughter was bit by a dog before Christmas last year.She ended up hospitalized for an infection that cost her her legs,all of her fingers except thumbs and now must find a way to start her life over.She is finally finishing up her rehab and trying to figure out the rest of her life.

How awful. sounds like it was much more than a dog bite!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Was there any clause in the contract that lets her out if for some reason the dog doesn't work out?  Sure hope so!!

Wonder if it would help if your daughter spoke to the women?  Maybe calm them down?