Esteemed Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

@ValuSkr wrote:

I doubt the Board would "evict" a dog - and levy fines - just because two women are afraid of it.  It seems there must be more to this story.  Is the dog larger than what was authorized?

By the way, if the fines are legit, and she doesn't pay them, the Board will put a lien on the condo.  That's what's done in my community anyway.

Much more to the story.  My guess is that the dog exceeds the size limit and probably more than one incident.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Does the building allow dogs or did they make an exception for her?  Board members change so new members may interpret the ruling differently.  

I live in a large condo that has no size restriction on dogs.  A long time, elderly resident at one of the board meetings complained about dogs being on the elevator.  My feeling is wait for the next elevator or move to a building that does not allow dogs.

Just because a resident sees the animal on an occasional basis is not a valid excuse, IMO, to ban the animal.

Good luck to your daughter.

Esteemed Contributor

As a landlord I have my slant on animals being an emotional supporter.  This weekend I'm ......(finally) getting rid of a dog - refuse to give tenant another 12 month lease.  Yeah!  Yeah!  We'll clean the lawns and replace the carpet for the new tenant.  Going to cost me $$$

Had a call to rent with an emotional support CAT  

If somebody is blind or disabled - yes, I accept that totally. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Sorry your daughter is in this situation. Did she get anything in writing from the Board stating she could have the dog when she boght the Condo?

If it was me I would tell them to jump in the lake that they approved the dog before she bought the Condo. I would also tell them I'm keeping my dog & not paying their $25 per day fine either. That was nothing she agreed to when she bought the Condo.

What are they going to do if she does not pay it?

Tell your daughter to find a good lawyer to get a free consultation to see where she stands.

@Nightowlz.   What are they going to do?  Put a lien on the condo.

Even if the condo board approved the dog, if it misbehaved, that would negate the approval.   Generally speaking, a condo is not the place for a big dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Sorry your daughter is in this situation. Did she get anything in writing from the Board stating she could have the dog when she boght the Condo?

If it was me I would tell them to jump in the lake that they approved the dog before she bought the Condo. I would also tell them I'm keeping my dog & not paying their $25 per day fine either. That was nothing she agreed to when she bought the Condo.

Tell your daughter to find a good lawyer to get a free consultation to see where she stands.

Even if the condo board approved the dog, if it misbehaved, that would negate the approval.   Generally speaking, a condo is not the place for a big dog.

@Kachina624 

Well they approved the dog before she bought the Condo? 

They cannot just start charging her $25 unless they have something in writing they agreed to when she bought the place.

I would take all my paperwork that I signed when I bought the place to an attorney to see where I stand. I would refuse to pay the $25. If they don't have a foot to stand on the attorney will be able to take care of it.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with talking to an attorney. In the meantime, the dog walker should be given instructions how/where to walk the dog and to stay away from people if he has a penchant for jumping up on people. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Kachina624 

Well they approved the dog before she bought the Condo? 

They cannot just start charging her $25 unless they have something in writing they agreed to when she bought the place.

I would take all my paperwork that I signed when I bought the place to an attorney to see where I stand. I would refuse to pay the $25. If they don't have a foot to stand on the attorney will be able to take care of it.

Going to speculate that this has to do with the dogs behavior and how the complains were handled by the owner.  No place is going to allow a dog to stay if the other residents are afraid of it and the owner is doing nothing to correct the situation. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

My granddaughter had a similar situation with her first condo, first pup (rescue) all while she was interning at a major trauma center and very long hours. Yes, she probably should have waited before taking on all these obligations but she needed the support. 

Similar to your daughter she used a dog walker but went through several to find the person right for her but her dog was a barker and complaints poured in. Finally resorted to obedience training which was three weeks sleep away and finally worked out a healthy lifestyle for all (including the complaining neighbors) he is also a large dog and takes lots of work but totally worth all the effort.

Something else we learned during this process depending on where y’all live there are “doggie day care” centers and pricing is affordable.

Good luck to you all.

New Contributor

You must have papers from where ever you received your emotional support dog info...  Mine says you also need a very short letter from doctor, on his stationary stating that she needs this dog for her emtional support....   Trust me, this will do the trick...   No lawyer needed.   They won't go against a doctors letter but you may have to submit one everyyear but well worth the trouble...

Do NOT give up....    I live in senior park where dogs must me 20lbs or less...  Well, Maggie got fat and muscular and weighs in at 50....   We have plenty of bigger dogs in the park who are huge and also Maggie's size and even thought some b-t--y complain, it's too bad....   CALL YOUR dr NOW!!   ;}

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 

True and that's why there's much more to this story that than the OP is sharing.