Super Contributor

QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

Can someone help me - My daughter bought a condo a few years ago, and she has an emotional support dog.  The board okayed this dog.  Now they got a few complains about the dog, and we got a notice that they want him OUT of her condo, effetive this weekend, or she will get $25 daily fines.

Who can I contact???  We are trying to get a lawyer,.  But I thought maybe the ADA?? 

Clock is ticking, we are at wits end.

Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

What are people complaining about?

Esteemed Contributor

Emotional support animals are not covered by the ADA.  What were the complaints about?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and they are not covered by the ADA.  If the lease allowed her to have a dog, the question what did the dog do that was in violation of the lease.  Yes, you probably do need to consult with a lawyer.  

Super Contributor

A couple of eldery women complained.

The dog walker was walking him, and he pulled on the leash, and they became afraid.  Never bit anyone.  Never growled.  But these two old biddies complained because he is a large dog.

Ugh - its not like a  piece of furniture that you can give away.

My daughter has been crying.  We don't know what to do

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry your daughter is in this situation. Did she get anything in writing from the Board stating she could have the dog when she boght the Condo?

If it was me I would tell them to jump in the lake that they approved the dog before she bought the Condo. I would also tell them I'm keeping my dog & not paying their $25 per day fine either. That was nothing she agreed to when she bought the Condo.

What are they going to do if she does not pay it?

Tell your daughter to find a good lawyer to get a free consultation to see where she stands.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

A couple of eldery women complained.

The dog walker was walking him, and he pulled on the leash, and they became afraid.  Never bit anyone.  Never growled.  But these two old biddies complained because he is a large dog.

Ugh - its not like a  piece of furniture that you can give away.

My daughter has been crying.  We don't know what to do

Your daughter should have handled the situation better.  Catch more flys with honey.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

Does she have the proper paperwork from her Dr?

Respected Contributor

I am not familiar with condo boards, but shouldn’t there be an investigation process for perceived infractions before issuing a demand?

Honored Contributor

I doubt the Board would "evict" a dog - and levy fines - just because two women are afraid of it.  It seems there must be more to this story.  Is the dog larger than what was authorized?

By the way, if the fines are legit, and she doesn't pay them, the Board will put a lien on the condo.  That's what's done in my community anyway.