Honored Contributor

DH and I are self employed for many years, all of our married life, 40 years!  We really have had very few issues, mistakes etc over the years.  We take great pride in doing a good job for our customers....dh handles everything as far as quoting job work I have always handled most of the customers, via telephone (years ago) and now via email.

Last week we bid two jobs for a customer (not a new customer)....when DH quoted me the prices I wrote them down wrong and gave the incorrect numbers to the customer.  She sent the job to another company, but when I found out what I did wrong, I immediatly sent her a message telling her want I did and that I apologized...we still did not get the job.  My husband was irked and I understand.

If a long period of time goes on before we are asked to bid again, should I contact the purchasing agent and apologize again?  We have gone 6 weeks or so with out bidding on new work, so I don't want to jump the gun and look like I am worried about not being sent any new jobs to bid.

She did thank me for sending her the correct pricing once I figured out what I did but not really sure how to move forward.  I have never been in this circumstace before...ugh...it was such a stupid mistake.

Respected Contributor

Re: Professional advise needed

I wouldn't hesitate to send an email or other message soon reminding them you would love to take on a job from them.  Keep hounding them in a nice way.  Be cordial but persistent.

Honored Contributor

Send the purchasing agent a note asking if there are any jobs to bid on...you haven’t seen any so you thought you would inquire.

Esteemed Contributor

I would send a reminder email after a period of time just reminding them that you remain interested in bidding for jobs. I would just monitor the situation but not be overly persistent.  

Honored Contributor

I'd offer this advice:  Be very careful in proofing everything you send out that is in writing.   Put it on your computer and check and verify all numbers, spell check it, and run a check for grammar.  Just be careful and double check everything.

Keep a paper copy of what you sent, and I'd make sure it was initialed by all who need to proof it. 

Just a reminder, but I probably don't need to, that you have to be so careful when you put things in writing!  GOOD luck  for your future projects!  You sound like caring people and are earnest in your efforts to do a good job!  You should be rewarded for it. 

Respected Contributor

I think I would call her rather than e-mail.  You might be able to get a feeling during the conversation as to why you haven’t heard from her for a while and I think it feels more personal. 

Honored Contributor

Has the other company started on your customer's job?  If so, your customer really can't change back to you at that point.

If the job hasn't been started, maybe you could offer a better deal to get the job back.

I wouldn't pester the customer...might make them angry and never use you again.  

In the meantime, concentrate on getting jobs from previous and new customers.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I would discuss with my husband the possibility of offering the company a one-time, limited-time discount if they place another order with you.  Explain it is for the mistake you made and because you value their business and do not wish to lose them as a customer.

If they don’t contact you after the expiration of your discount, I wouldn’t contact them again.  

If they really are valued customers it would be worth taking a loss on one order to get them back.  Provided your husband agrees, of course!

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone, and yes @Foxxee ...this happened last week, and it is to late to change vendors.  

DH and I are taking a long over due vacation early June, when we get back if I don't hear anything from her I will make contact.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

No, you do not need to apologize again.

You caught your mistake, owned, it, and made amends.

Over apologizing is over-kill.

Once is enough.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.