Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with my friend....

I would remind her AGAIN that you do not care to discuss politics with her. And add that you thought you had an agreement concerning the discussion of politics.

And if she continues to discuss politics, send her the same email. Maybe she will tire of getting the same email from you over and over again.

Honored Contributor

OMG this is the worst time in most of our memories, we need all the friends we can get ignore the comments you do not want to read

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

If the two of you have been friends for that long, it seems that it's time for a little humor. Can you respond to her "violation" of your agreement with humor? I have a close friend with opposite political beliefs and we sort of "rag" each other about our views...There's a trust that doesn't get broken and we laugh at each other and ourselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

OMG this is the worst time in most of our memories, we need all the friends we can get ignore the comments you do not want to read

I agree. Friendships are very important.  I also think that if a friend (or anyone else for that matter) really has your best interest at heart, they will honor a kind request not to say things they know will upset you. If they don't stop... you certainly have the choice of ignoring it or limiting your conversations with that person. 

Trusted Contributor

If she is really your friend, just tell her that "I am not doing this with you.  We agreed to not talk politics or money.  If you continue, I will not respond."  On the other hand, if she has become more of just an acquaintance than a friend, do not repsond at all.  Either she will get the message or she won't.  No loss if she is not a friend.

Super Contributor

Are you better off WITH her or WITHOUT her? That mindset works for me.

Honored Contributor

@NataliesgrammaI don't think her rants have anything at all to do with your friend ignoring your plea that she cease and desist.  

I don't know why she can't hear you, but I know I can't hear lots of what my friends and family on the other side of the political fence want to tell me. 

I haven't felt this is the right time to wash away years of connection, but I do know it's the right time for me to avoid unnecessary stress.  For me so far that has meant screening phone calls, not reading every email or text from them, and waiting days to send exactly the kind of response you sent -  all about my life as I'm living it, not about what they probably can't hear any more than I can hear them.

When we come out the other side of this horrible time, maybe then I'll know which connections still enrich my life.  I venture to say, I'll realize many wil,l but here and there, it's time for me to cut a string.  

Honored Contributor

It's a very stressful & scary time.

Maybe you can gently "talk her off the ledge" next time she rants.

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

We are both the same age ....mid 60's and have known each other since we were little. She hasn't lived close since we were 16.

We email....text... sometimes call once a week. We made a deal NOT to talk money or Politics. Well she just can't help herself. The first time, I REMINDED her about our deal. The second time I ignored the email and when she asked if I got it....I answered "Yes". ...thinking she would get the message. She seemed to....

Yesterday, I  sent a friendly email about what we are doing around here and after a few sentences of what they were doing......she goes into this Political rant again....It was 2 paragraphs in BOLD letters....

Do I give her a FOURTH chance or just not respond back and when she does just tell her I no longer want to email each other.

I just feel that she thinks her opinion matters more than our friendship...

Honored Contributor

"let's agree to disagree"?

or just delete her texts and emails before reading if you don't want to go as far blocking her

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have several friends whose political opinions are totally different from mine.  We decided several years ago that politics would not be a part of our discussions.  There have been zero instances where this agreement has been breached.   If both friends care about maintaining a friendship -- the decision should be respected and adered to.  Seriously -- it's not rocket science and it's not that difficult.