Respected Contributor

Love Prevention Magazine, but now that they have gone "no ads", the price is ridiculous - $5.00 a magazine or something like $44/yr.  Their ads were all health related and I found them to be helpful at times - wish they would go back to having ads and lowering their subscription rate. 

Honored Contributor

They probably shouldn't take ads, to not be influenced by their advertisers.

Why did they cut the ads, do you know?

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Love Prevention Magazine, but now that they have gone "no ads", the price is ridiculous - $5.00 a magazine or something like $44/yr.  Their ads were all health related and I found them to be helpful at times - wish they would go back to having ads and lowering their subscription rate. 

Respected Contributor

@software - I think they wanted to be the first "no ad" publication.  I can't imagine readers complained because all magazines have ads.  When my subscription renewal came, I wrote on there that I don't like the "no ad" if it is going to cost me more and declined to renew. 

Honored Contributor

Lots of years ago I was a subscriber ... but then they started getting "weird" with their articles.  Never picked up another issue. 

I do have a couple of the books they publish.  The one on dealing with arthritis is rather good.

Esteemed Contributor

All of their articles are usually old news and you can find it all on the Internet  or on any health sites..

They had way to many sham advertisements and the legitimacy of their integrity was just to questionable, dropping adds was the first step to cleaning up their reputation.

Just like Oz if you paid him it was presented if it had scientific research to back it up or not.....

Honored Contributor

I, too, used to subscribe to Prevention (many, many years ago).  Unfortunately, the price is just too high, imo.  Too bad that they don't have advertisers.  Maybe non-medical ads such as various food brands such as breads, nut milks, etc.   There has to be something out there that isn't a huge medical controversy................

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I stopped reading Prevention years ago because every other page was an ad. IMO, a lot of their advice was questionable.

Esteemed Contributor

We used to subscribe.  I found the information useful.  It will be interesting to see how the no-ad policy will affect them. 

Consumer Reports has never accepted advertising so they could remain impartial.  They do depend on contributions though.