Honored Contributor

Anyone watching?

If you have ever been there

It is an amazing place

Honored Contributor

I have thought about going many times, the memories from that day are still too fresh in my mind, I fear I would cry through the whole visit to the site and the museum.

@jackthebear wrote:

Anyone watching?

It is an amazing place

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have thought about going many times, the memories from that day are still too fresh in my mind, I fear I would cry through the whole visit to the site and the museum.

@jackthebear wrote:

Anyone watching?

It is an amazing place

I have not been in the Museum either, but the pools and surrounding area are moving

It was not open when we were there

Honored Contributor

It is amazing. Sadly, we have far too many sites reflecting our nation's history, so whether you get to the 9/11 site or Arlington Cemetery or the Vietnam Wall or Pearl Harbor,  a memorial in your own area, we feel the price paid for our democracy.

Today, I am moved to see the Pope speak with families of the 9/11 victims because he seems to have an innate ability to soothe those with whom he offers his solace regardless of their religions.. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm watching the Pope speak after the interfaith service at the 9/11 memorial. It is very emotional. I went to the WTC site a couple of years ago. The building was not finished but the reflecting pools, with all the names of the victims, moved me to tears. I wish the Pope's great words could be followed by all. Sadly, it is not to be.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox  I understand what you're saying, but I also think that deep sadness is not a reason to stay away because in many respects there is not enough time that will ever erase the feelings we had watching 9/11 as it happened.

The only experience I've had of anything comparable was visiting Pearl Harbor.  The reverent silence that descended upon everyone as our boat moved to anchor at the Arizona Memorial, the tears from a couple laying their leis there (he had been in service in 1941) made that visit even more moving than I'd expected.  And because I was born just a few weeks before that attack, Pearl Harbor has always felt significant to me and that was 59 years after the horror of that day.

Seeing these sites does cause pain, but being at them also seems to help me, so I seem to find myself wishing I'd made the trips sonner than I did.  The tears are honest, but they do dry.

Honored Contributor

I worked on Lower Manhattan on 9-11-01 and saw the events play out in front of my windows, my office was on the corner of Broadway and Beaver Street, I was in the Battery Tunnel when the first tower was attacked and on Church Street when the second tower was attacked. I remember a lot about that day but my selective memory has no recollection of sounds, I can not til this day recall sirens. Funny how the mind works.

millieshops wrote:

@I am still oxox  I understand what you're saying, but I also think that deep sadness is not a reason to stay away because in many respects there is not enough time that will ever erase the feelings we had watching 9/11 as it happened.

The only experience I've had of anything comparable was visiting Pearl Harbor.  The reverent silence that descended upon everyone as our boat moved to anchor at the Arizona Memorial, the tears from a couple laying their leis there (he had been in service in 1941) made that visit even more moving than I'd expected.  And because I was born just a few weeks before that attack, Pearl Harbor has always felt significant to me and that was 59 years after the horror of that day.

Seeing these sites does cause pain, but being at them also seems to help me, so I seem to find myself wishing I'd made the trips sonner than I did.  The tears are honest, but they do dry.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Anyone watching?

It is an amazing place

I was touched to see that happening, he's so great!! I'd have never been able to see that place if not for his going there. That must have meant so much to the families.

Honored Contributor

The service at the Museum was very moving, I loved seeing the Cardinal singing Shalom along with the Cantor at the end.

For those of us living in the NYC area it is an emotional thing

I am an agnostic Catholic but I like this Pope

Honored Contributor

I just rewatched that - it was an amazing moment

@jackthebear wrote:

The service at the Museum was very moving, I loved seeing the Cardinal singing Shalom along with the Cantor at the end.

For those of us living in the NYC area it is an emotional thing

I am an agnostic Catholic but I like this Pope