Respected Contributor

Re: Poll: Women Over 65 - Lack of Energy

My lack of energy seems to be an up and down issue.  Some days I'm loaded with energy, other days, not so much.  I don't fret about it.  When I have lots of energy I do more.  When I have less energy I take it easy.  We need to be kind to ourselves.  I think there's a lot of judgement  if we're not out there running marathons or going to the gym every day, working high level jobs and being beautiful. 

When I was much younger and had little children I had the same kind of up and down energy.  However, back then unless they were napping I had to be up and doing everything.  Then after the children were all in school, I went to work and college.  I remember thinking, someday I'd be able to relax whenever I wanted to.  That day has come!  I am enjoying it! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Each person is different. My 93 year old friend goes to the gym swims and lifts weights.  Been doing this for 50 odd years.  In very good health.  Cleans her own house and gardens.

I am 83 this june.  Today I went to Zumba class.  Lifted weights, did five miles on bike and walked the dog two miles.  I stopped jogging at age 65@

I do my yard work and clean my own house. I take a lot of Lessman vits.  I have been exercising almost 60 years.   If I feel tired, I will just walk and do yoga..  I have a lot of energy.  If I don,t exercise, I don,t sleep.  I have to plan to sit on couch during the day.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It may depend on the person.  For me I think it's a little of both.  The more active I am the better I feel physically, emotionally, and mentally.  I am 72 and it great health, but every now and then I have one of those days when my get up and go just strutted off and left me in the dust.

Esteemed Contributor

i'm 68...diagnosed with osteo and psoriatic arthritic in 2002....my chronic 24/7 pain has wiped me out....i am no longer the person i used to be...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adequate sleep and movement are essential as you age. So is adequate protein intake. A positive attitude really helps but the others are essential and help with that attitude thing. If you rest too much, you rust. 

I decided to get a part-time job - 6 hrs 5 days a week - that requires lots of moving and walking and am surrounded by people younger than I. One of the best things I have ever done. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nana59 wrote:

i'm 68...diagnosed with osteo and psoriatic arthritic in 2002....my chronic 24/7 pain has wiped me out....i am no longer the person i used to be...

@nana59,

I'm sorry you are in pain. Osteoarthritis, I have it in many places on this old body. The Psoriatic I know only what I have read and heard. From my reading, it seems like it comes in different degrees of movement restrictions, and/or difficulty.

From my own Osteoarthritis experience, and being unable to take any type of Anti-inflammatory, for me movement of all my effected joints(especially fingers and my spine) keep me still being able to do everything I have done when decades younger. The pain(for me discomfort) is there, but keeping these effected body parts moving and active is imperative for me. I can take Tylenol, but it does little to nothing for the pain of Osteoarthritis.

My best wishes to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

. I work part time & enjoy volunteering, helping others has helped me deal with loss & appreciate the life I have. .

========================================

ITA!  I accidentally discovered that by "doing" ... it's fulfilling and energizing if I get out of the house a few hours every day.  I've been working 12 hrs/week for the last year and decided to add some volunteer work.  BUT.. one day this week, I worked AND went to my volunteer orientation and by the time I got home I was EXHAUSTED.  I really got scared.  I thought, "suppose I can't do both..?"

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

You probably can do both but you might have to build your stamina for awhile and be more tired at first. I work at a school and even notice that my stamina is lower when i come back after winter break but is fine after i have pushed myself for a couple of weeks. 

Respected Contributor

Let yourself rest as much as possible, you deserve it.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59,

I'm sorry you are in pain. Osteoarthritis, I have it in many places on this old body. The Psoriatic I know only what I have read and heard. From my reading, it seems like it comes in different degrees of movement restrictions, and/or difficulty.

From my own Osteoarthritis experience, and being unable to take any type of Anti-inflammatory, for me movement of all my effected joints(especially fingers and my spine) keep me still being able to do everything I have done when decades younger. The pain(for me discomfort) is there, but keeping these effected body parts moving and active is imperative for me. I can take Tylenol, but it does little to nothing for the pain of Osteoarthritis.

My best wishes to you,

hckynut

thank you, hckynut....i appreciate your kindness.....i have a 16 year old granddaughter who is a "hockey nut!"  she plays for her high school and says it's her favorite sport....she also plays volleyball and softball....but hockey is her passion!!