Honored Contributor

Re: Poll: Women Over 65 - Lack of Energy

If I sit around all day and do nothing or very little, i am tired and have no energy.  If I keep busy doing something physical, I feel so much better.

i think you can use it or lose it.  Yes, sometimes I function on less than six hours of sleep.  I am a night owl and have gone to bed at 2 am or later most of my adult life, no matter what time I have to get up.

If I find I am tired, I will take a nap...that doesn't happen too often though.

My DH runs like an energizer bunny.  He is super active all day.  He can run circles around guys less than half his age.  He often goes without sleep.  I don't know how he does it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 80 and I was okay until about 3 yrs ago when I got double pneumonia twice in 6 months time and found I had Afib and a couple of other issues. 

I tried to ignore all of that, but my body just won't cooperate.  I keep telling myself to "stop it now", but it doesn't work.

I worry all the time that I won't be able to take care of myself.  So far, I'm doing okay in a 1700 sf house and able to get out and about, albeit, not too much at a time.  Have to do little by little and it does get discouraging.

Thankfully, I do sleep well and never take naps unless I don't feel well.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s hard to judge a person unless you know the facts.  As people age, “stuff” happens.  And sometimes medications that are necessary react differently from person to person.  Joint problems can often arise due to arthritis, not because of lack of activity.  Living with pain depletes energy, as well contributing to depression.  Like it or not, most people I know experience lowering of energy as they age.  If someone does not experience this, they are truly gifted.  

Valued Contributor

Just turned 66 and have been battling insomnia  for 6 years.  While overweight, I'm on only 2 meds, Eliquis for A-fib and a diuretic for water retention.  I have prescription sleeping pills but try not to take every night.  There are days that I'm a tornado cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, in the summer cutting grass.  Other days , it's an effort to put one foot in front of the other.  I have 2 cats and my older husband has had numerous health issues the past 2 years so I'm doing 95% of everything around the house, both inside and out.  But by 6:30 -7:00 at night, I'm exhausted and hit the bed with the girls.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never think about my age, just keep my mind-body active & deal head on with whatever happens. I'm tired sometimes but then everyone is, we live life on the run with work, family & responsibilities. I try to sleep 6-8 hrs but don't stress if it's less, I eat what I want when I want & walk for exercise. I work part time & enjoy volunteering, helping others has helped me deal with loss & appreciate the life I have. The people who know who they are & what they believe age gracefully, there's no frantic need to hold on to youth & what was...I hope as I head down the road to the end, that's me.

Honored Contributor

I am 66 and found out many years ago when I was young that if I don't start my day with a workout I had very little energy.  I am an early riser and have worked out every day for at least an hour and now that I am retired work out for 2 or more hours in the morning as well as walk with my dog for about an hour.  I never stopped working out even with a broken ankle and torn meniscus as well as other health issues.  I often wake up stiff and if I were to give into it I know my energy level would plummet and my stiffness would linger most of the day but once I move for about 2 minutes I'm good to go.  I also have noticed that the more sleep I get the less energy I have.  I usually get from 6 - 7 hours sleep with most being deep sleep.   I do agree with other posters who said that your level of activity has a lot to do with how much energy you have.  I don't see myself as old and aging - I just keep being who I always was.  Attitude is probably the most important.

Honored Contributor

I will be 65 in July. I was a premature baby with cerebral palsy with various issues. I walk with a cane. I look after my precious DH and am sleep deprived. I am slow but determined to keep doing and moving but after breast cancer saw a definite decline in my energy that never improved. I do household stuff daily but have to take a lot of breaks and deal with a lot of pain. I have two friends that are 13 years older than me- without a lot of health issues that have given up, and live in their recliner 24/7. I refuse to sit down and give up. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

Both!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have good energy at age 63.  I hope it is OK to comment even though I am not yet 65.

I walk everyday and do light strength training...eat a really good diet....  and since having  both hips and both knees replaced 5 years ago... I have very little pain and really feel quite good.    I take no medications presently... an herbal formula that really keeps my blood pressure where it should be. That I am thankful for...and I check my blood pressure every day twice a day.     I sleep maybe  6 hours a night... not a real good sleep... but, I guess it is enough to keep me  not feeling tired.

I think as we age you need to adjust what you expect from yourself and to not compare yourself to your 5 or 10 year past self.  Move, stay active, but no need to do it or anything excessively.  Really watch your food intake  eat healthy... only good fats...little meat..... and do not eat junk food. Everyone knows what is junk food.  NO EXCUSES.    As we age our bodies change and I think going with the flow and knowing that what at one time was easy, may not be so easy later.  Work with that. 

I also supplement my diet with many supplements.  I follow Life Extension Magazine and take many of their formulas based of the scientific studies that they have done to back what they say.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Both! for me too!

I hover between blaming myself for physical problems and then the alternative of letting myself off the hook and just enjoying life.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~